308 bullets for black bear

I’m sure this has been discussed before. I have previously killed a bear with a 7mm rem mag with Barnes TSX bullets. That being said, I shot it slightly quartering away and its exit wound got plugged up. I retrieved the bear but couldn’t tell if it got plugged because of an extremely fast bullet or because it didn’t expand well. I’m switching to a 308 this year and was wondering if the Barnes tsx 165gr I’m shooting now will be fine or should I switch to something else like a partition.

Bears are soft animals. I killed 1 with a .308 using 150 TTSX. There was very minimal damage done. The bear I killed this year was with a 7mm-08 150 ELDX (first kill with that bullet). The lungs literally poured out when we opened up that bear. I also killed a few with bonded bullets as well. I will be using the ELDX from here on out for black bear

.308 has a much lower velocity than a 7mm mag. I'm not sure how far away the bullet will expand well. Obviously, if it expands it'll be fine. As far as your blood trail issues, such a thing is common with bear.

OP
B
.308 has a much lower velocity than a 7mm mag. I'm not sure how far away the bullet will expand well. Obviously, if it expands it'll be fine. As far as your blood trail issues, such a thing is common with bear.
Sorry confused by the first sentence, are you saying you’re not sure how well the 308 will expand? Shot will be at 100yd and in. Previously killed one with 7mm mag with Barnes tsx but had that issue

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
The 168 ttsx is designed to expand at a lower velocity than the 165. Shouldn't make much of a difference at 100 yards though. I plan to use 168s just to give myself an "expansion buffer" when the distance starts to stretch.

Sorry confused by the first sentence, are you saying you’re not sure how well the 308 will expand? Shot will be at 100yd and in. Previously killed one with 7mm mag with Barnes tsx but had that issue
Typically, monometal bullets require higher impact velocities than lead bullets.

Given that the .308 has lower velocities, this should impact the maximum range that it may perform well at.

Personally, I don't use monometal bullets. Regardless of what bullets you choose, you will have more issues with blood trails than most animals, due to their thicker fur and layers of fat.

OP
B
Typically, monometal bullets require higher impact velocities than lead bullets.

Given that the .308 has lower velocities, this should impact the maximum range that it may perform well at.

Personally, I don't use monometal bullets. Regardless of what bullets you choose, you will have more issues with blood trails than most animals, due to their thicker fur and layers of fat.
I should inform you I am using a supressor

ianpadron

WKR
I've seen 168 ELDMs do some wicked things to bears.

Ended up going down a rabbit hole chasing accuracy and now shoot 168 TMKs, no bears harmed with that bullet yet.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen 168 ELDMs do some wicked things to bears.

Ended up going down a rabbit hole chasing accuracy and now shoot 168 TMKs, no bears harmed with that bullet yet.
Do you happen to have data on the 10 rd group sizes with 168 ELDM vs 168 TMK? What caused you to switch?

Based on what I've seen my .308 with 168 AMAX (1.4" 10 rd group at 100 yd) do on a deer and an elk, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bear with them.

BKM

FNG
165 SST was fantastic on deer for me. Great wound channels and exited nearly every time. I think 10ft was the longest track job out of the 5 or 6 deer shot with that bullet. It should do just as well on bear.

I got great velocity and group size with the 165sst and Big game powder. Very near 30-06 velocity