.308 bullet choice for elk. Currently running 165 accubonds

Hey all, I can finally get my hands on some Barnes ttsx 168g. I currently run 165g accubonds and my rifle loves them! I’m just wondering in your experience is it worth the switch over to the 168 ttsx! Thanks all, I might be over thinking this and should just stick to the accubonds.

Is it a .308 Win, or are you talking generically about getting .308 168 gr TTSX's for whatever .308 caliber cartridge you have?

Brooks

WKR
Those are both great on elk. I’ve used them both on elk for a long time with great success. Personally IMO one Isn’t any better than the other, they’re both great elk bullets.

I've been using Barnes monos for 30 years. TTSX opens quicker than previous versions and tends to tear vitals up a bit more because of that more rapid expansion based on many necropsies. However, they penetrate through and through which gives the best chance of the wound channel coinciding with the vitals from just about any reasonable angle shot.

I personally load the 130 TTSX in a 30-06 that has taken elk, deer and pronghorn with the same load. I would go lighter (130 TTSX) with the .308 Win and bump up the velocity.

I think they are both great, I took a few elk over the years with the 165 accubonds (30-06) and just switched to ttsx after some research but no elk taken with it yet. I have shoulder issues and actually looking to bump down in weight or get a smaller caliber spitting longer, lighter ttsx or similar copper.

Rich M

WKR
Nothing wrong with your setup and 165 accubonds - perfectly good bullet. Stick with it.

Unless you are just wanting change for the sake of change and something to do - work up a load or whatever.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Funny, my 300 saum loves the 168 TSX. It won’t do better than 1.25 with a 165 Accubond.
I’d personally pick the one my rifle shoots best and stick with that. IMO, most premium bullets today will preform.

Funny, my 300 saum loves the 168 TSX. It won’t do better than 1.25 with a 165 Accubond.
I’d personally pick the one my rifle shoots best and stick with that. IMO, most premium bullets today will preform.
My 7 rem mag loves the Fusion ammo the best with the Accubonds and Partitions a close second

my son and I both use 165 AB's in ours and have nothing but great reviews on paper, deer, pigs, coyotes and elk . we've taken 3 elk (from 19 to 200 yards) with excellent performance (to be fair, all those were well hit - lungs, broadside, so nearly any decent bullet would have worked)

if you're rifle likes those, and if you have plenty...... I wouldn't change. In particular, I wouldn't shift to that heavy a mono at 308 Win velocities, either.

I use the accubonds in mine. However I haven't shot an elk with it, but it'd certainly be my choice if I decided to use it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR
IMO the 130-150 ttsx’s are more suitable for a .308win , more velocity
i‘m focusing on 150gr barns for my African hunt,
nosler is my favorite brand, but lately I’ve had trouble finding any
so switched to Norma oryx @ 2850 fps

Hey all, I can finally get my hands on some Barnes ttsx 168g. I currently run 165g accubonds and my rifle loves them! I’m just wondering in your experience is it worth the switch over to the 168 ttsx! Thanks all, I might be over thinking this and should just stick to the accubonds.
Nope not worth it stick to what is working. They are great bullets if they shoot well and you stay within your shooting capabilities they kill just as dead and you've already got confidence in your load.