300WM Barnes TTSX 150g or 180g?

If you end up sticking with the 180 ttsx let me know. I've done tons of testing with my 300WM and found some excellent loads with better than average SD/ES.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Once I use up my current stock of 180 gr TTSX I will be going to accubonds. Ive recovered several and they have shed their petals at the entrance and penciled through with a bore size hunk of copper. I dont think thats ideal even though I have never lost an animal I've hit with one.
For the record I believe every bullet will fail if used enough.

I shot a bull elk with 180 grain accubonds out of a 300 jarret which is almost identical to a 300 RUM. The shots were all under 100 yards and it took 3 rounds to put him down. Each of the rounds completely fragmented less than 6” into the animal. He died but it would’ve been a lot faster with sufficient penetration. I talked to Nosler afterwards and they stated the issue was likely the high velocity (3300 fps at the muzzle) coupled with a thick hide and bones. The perfect bullet for every situation doesn’t exist but I thought I’d share my experience.

It’s good to hear actual success and application with 168 ttsx. I know that the 168 is about as good as you can get in 30-06 but have always wondered how it would do in 300 win mag so thanks for that feedback.
Reread his reply. You are saying168 TTSX in your reply and he is saying 165. Two different bullets. The 168 is designed to open at a lower velocity. I use them in my 30/06 with DRT results.
Read reply #2 where MeatMissle says the 168 expands at a lower velocity. He uses them in his 300 Wby. 168 is the perfect all-use bullet between the 150 and the 180 grain in the 30 caliber (In my opinion).

Last edited:

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
When I use the mono-metal bullets with a 300 WM I like the 165 grain TTSX the best. I don't believe that there is much of a benefit to use the longer 180 grain mono. For a 180 grain pill I like the Nosler AccuBond better. I have used both on larger game (elk, kudu, etc.) with no complaints.

I have used the 168 TTSX extensively in a 30-06 for Botswana and Namibia plains game with no complaints. The 165 takes a bit more velocity for expansion than the 168, so the 168 seems well suited for a 30-06.

Smtn10pt

FNG
For the record I believe every bullet will fail if used enough.

I shot a bull elk with 180 grain accubonds out of a 300 jarret which is almost identical to a 300 RUM. The shots were all under 100 yards and it took 3 rounds to put him down. Each of the rounds completely fragmented less than 6” into the animal. He died but it would’ve been a lot faster with sufficient penetration. I talked to Nosler afterwards and they stated the issue was likely the high velocity (3300 fps at the muzzle) coupled with a thick hide and bones. The perfect bullet for every situation doesn’t exist but I thought I’d share my experience.
Oh man i could have gone without reading that! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Accubonds. I've seen them work quite well out of my buddies 300 WSM, thats what I was leaning towards trying them.

Here is some info on the 165 & 168 TTSX directly from customer service at Barnes. FYI, it mentions the 175 LRX and 300 WSM (which I am interested in for a semi-custom project), but the info was very interesting and helped me understand their goals for the different bullets.

"Both the 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM were designed to shoot in a standard length or short length action; respectively. With the limits SAAMI places on those two’s COAL the 165 gr was designed to fit with those parameters. In addition to the COAL we felt the velocities of that bullet, being higher from both magnums would perform better if it had a higher, lower impact velocity of 1800 fps. The 168, TSX and TTSX, was designed more for the 308 Win and 30-06 velocities and thus has a 1500 fps minimum impact velocity. With that said, many many, to include myself, will shoot the 168 gr in either of the magnums since we reloaders are not constrained by SAAMI “and” we want the lower impact velocity for more reliable expansion at farther hunting distances; ie., long range hunting. The 175 LRX is the lightest of our 308 caliber LRX choices and gives a higher BC and lower impact velocity of 1600 fps for those hunters who want a heavier bullet and higher BC. “ALL” excellent bullets which can sometimes cross back and forth within the parameters given."

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
Looked around a little last night but couldnt find any notes on chrono results. I know im using 87 gr of RE-22 powder, i want to say it was around 3200 fps at the muzzle, but not 100% on that. Shots were all under 200 yards.
Yeah I dont know what to say….your velocity is right up where it should be and the yardage of shot should also be perfect. Only thing I can reference would be what I’ve been told and that would be at closer range shots aim for the shoulder. But again than you lose meat….you got my stumped.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man i could have gone without reading that! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Accubonds. I've seen them work quite well out of my buddies 300 WSM, thats what I was leaning towards trying them.

I really think it was due to the high velocity. I’ve heard/read dozens of reviews where they performed well especially at longer ranges or with a bit slower cartridges. That said, I think they’d be an amazing bullet with your 300 RUM for anything smaller than an elk.

If you use them, I’d love to hear how they worked. It could be I just had a “bad batch”.

Macintosh

WKR
photo is 2 examples of 168gr ttsx from factory barnes 30-06. Been shooting ttsx in 7mm08 and 30 06 for several years, these are the only two I've recovered. Not your 300 winmag, but maybe helpful. The darker colored one was from a bull elk at about 50 yards--quite close, so perhaps the equivalent velocity of your win mag at 200-ish yards. It passed through the skin on the off side armpit and lodged agsint the off-side elbow, shed one petal along the way. The shinier one is same ammo from a deer at a bit over 100 yards--it was a finishing shot after the deer was down from sternum out spine, it was barely protruding from the skin above the spine and lost 3 petals. 168 ttsx.png

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
shot my colorado bull this year at 406 with the 180 ttsx. i was very happy with the way they held together. recovered the two bullets. Ill try and take a picture of them to post.

VO2Max

FNG
No mention of your twist rate(?) Also, no mention that one 300WM with a 1:9 twist may shoot a 165gr well while another shoots a 200 or a 212gr better. For me, choose the bullet that you would like to try, order a dozen of them, load them up with spec'd loads and see how they fly. Choose the one that flies the best, most consistently and roll with it. Best of luck!

-Erik

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
For reloading TTX follow this.
Step one: open box
Step two: dump in trashcan
Step three: buy Berger or ELDM
Step four: follow normal reloading process.
To each their own but they pencil hole and leave no blood, especially over 300 yards

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

roymunson

WKR
i used a 180 TTSX on a moose out of a 300 WSM this fall. dropped him on the spot at 300 but to be fair my scope had been bumped and I hit the spine. So bullet construction may not have been all that important.

Have seen a muley killed with a 300 180 TTSX and I killed a muley and a pronghorn with a 150 out of my 7mm RM.

all pass thrus, all dead animals.

i used a 180 TTSX on a moose out of a 300 WSM this fall. dropped him on the spot at 300 but to be fair my scope had been bumped and I hit the spine. So bullet construction may not have been all that important.

Have seen a muley killed with a 300 180 TTSX and I killed a muley and a pronghorn with a 150 out of my 7mm RM.

all pass thrus, all dead animals.
IMG_9878.jpeg
The Barnes grouped unbelievable well for me. I’ve never used them hunting yet. The second photo attached is the Barnes. I tried 5 different ammunitions the other night. Barnes was the best followed by Hornady ELDX 200 gr and Federal Terminal Ascent 200 gr. I decided to get my Leupold custom turret made for the terminal ascents due to ammo availability and cost and it was a toss up between that and the Hornady.

Attachments

• IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 15
Here's what's left of a 180 ttsx out of a 300wm, mv 2860. It was recovered at the back of the opposite side tenderloin on a cow elk shot at just 110 yards, full 90° broadside. It hit square on a rib directly behind the shoulder, center body, took out a lung, top of the liver, cut a small incision on the top of the stomach and came to rest back near the hip. I've never seen anything like it. It literally peeled the petals off and changed directions. It did the job, but expected better.

Attachments

• IMG_20231212_210756.jpg
    IMG_20231212_210756.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 9

Nontyp

FNG
225 gr TTSX from 18” 338rpm at 515 yds. The shot was right behind the shoulder Are most of the pencil holes from shoulder impact?

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 17

rootacres

WKR
Been shooting Barnes 180g for a while and love them. That said, recently started reloading and have been playing with the idea of switching to the 150g for a Mule Deer/Elk cartridge instead of having two separate loads. Have heard they perform better at higher velocities so thinkin about give this a shot. Thoughts?

Man my dad has shot the 180 TTSX out of his 300 WM Tikka for years. It has rolled everything he's shot at. If your gun likes the 180s I don't think I would change.

IMG_4177.jpegIMG_1972.jpegIMG_1757.jpegDSC08290.jpeg