300WM/300WSM Rifle Options

Hornet156

FNG
I have narrowed down my caliber to either 300WM or 300 WSM for hunting Elk/Deer/Bear out west. I do handload a little so I am leaning towards the WSM. I am looking for reccomendations on what would be the most bang for my buck in regards to a rifle near the $1500 price range. This does not include optics. Would I have a shot at a semi-custom tikka/howa build. Most important factors to me would be accuracy and function. It doesn’t need to be the lightest. Thanks for your input.

Jimbee

WKR
You could buy a tikka and a custom prefit barrel for $1500. Whatever twist, length, profile, threads you want.

ElPollo

WKR
I have narrowed down my caliber to either 300WM or 300 WSM for hunting Elk/Deer/Bear out west. I do handload a little so I am leaning towards the WSM. I am looking for reccomendations on what would be the most bang for my buck in regards to a rifle near the $1500 price range. This does not include optics. Would I have a shot at a semi-custom tikka/howa build. Most important factors to me would be accuracy and function. It doesn’t need to be the lightest. Thanks for your input.
I have a Tikka in 300 WSM that is currently in the shop getting a new McGowen barrel mounted (20” factory contour with a flared muzzle to accommodate 5/8x24 threads and a 1-9” twist). I also have a Howa that I picked up recently in smaller caliber with the intent of restocking, shortening the barrel and threading for a can.

Between the two. I much prefer the Tikka action for its initial smoothness and the shorter bolt throw (60 or 70 degrees). The Howa will get smoother given a bit of Flitz metal polish and annoying my family with a few hundred bolt racks. The Tikka also has a better trigger out of the box but both can be made very useable. Given similar action lengths, the Tikka is lighter than the Howa. The Tikka action length is pretty much optimal for the WSM, allowing the use of long heavies if you have the throat for it. If you need to go over the magazine COAL limit, you can easily, switch to a 300 WM magazine. And, short or long, the Tikka factory mags are very good. If you opt for the WM chambering, likely the Howa action gets the nod because the Tikka is a bit short for long bullets.

In terms of the stocks, people complain about the factory Tikka stocks, but they are very good. I personally like the vertical grip option. I don’t really like most of the aftermarket stock options for Tikka because most add significant weight. The best aftermarket stock for Tikkas (IMO) was the Alterra, which went away during the pandemic. I really wish someone would produce a 20-22 oz stock like this with a negative comb and similar grip. Howa is also pretty limited for its aftermarket stock market. However, the Blacktooth from Peak 44 is a good option, albeit specialized for light weight with a stubby little forearm. Stocky’s is starting to produce some carbon fiber options for both guns. They look interesting, but I don’t have experience with either yet.

Tikka has that stupid 1-11” twist, but my experience was that it didn’t substantially limit the gun. Mine was actually more accurate with 200 gr bullets than lighter stuff, but barrels are individuals with their own likes and dislikes.

Finally, I hear people complain about the recoil for Tikkas in 300WSM, but I did not find that to be an issue. In fact, I thought it recoiled less than an R700 in 30-06 with heavy bullet loads that I used to own. That is totally subjective, but I had no issues pushing 40 rounds down the pipe off a bench in a day. I am adding a can to it, which will reduce the recoil and hopefully improve my ability to spot impacts at distance.

Long response, but I hope some of it is helpful.

I have an older T3 WSM stainless. All original. Shoots great. No need for upgraded barrel or anything else. Stock is fine. No muzzle break. A tack driver. Bought it lightly used here years ago. A great rifle.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
T3 in a chassis have been hammering for a lot of guys! The first thing that I would upgrade is that stock (whether you get a chassis or not)!

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
What barrel brands are recommended (PR?) and what stock? Looks like I might try and find a lightly used T3 to upgrade.

Wapiti151

WKR
I'd get a Tikka SL or Light and change out the stock. OR I have a newer Win model 70 in a FTW config chambered in 300wsm, and absolutely love that thing too. The newer model 70s since FN acquisition are pretty damn nice these days and i would take that over a Tikka, pre 64 style CRF action, made in USA and you have some great aftermarket stock options there too that would fit your budget. I can't find the classified post now, but there was one in there with an edge stock and cerakoted bbl/action with some add'l upgrades. I am thinking about doing that to mine.

If weight isn't a huge concern...I also love my Sako S20. Right at 10 lbs with my optic and rounds...but it's a hell of a gun for the price IMO and a sweet shooter at that weight. Sako and Tikka are both doing 1-10 barrels now...at least I know my Sako is a 1-10

ElPollo

WKR
Feel free to take this as suggestions, but do what makes you happy. I’m sorta with 280 on this one. I would not upgrade a barrel unless there was a problem with the factory one. I know I just did that, but it was more related to a suppressor than the barrel itself. My barrel, strangely for Tikkas, was super picky on ammo. It also didn’t have enough meat on it to get a 5/8x24 thread for my can. I would shoot what you get before you decide to replace a barrel. I’d suggest spending your money on good reliable glass, first. Then consider the stock and/or barrel once you know what you are dealing with. Your average factory Tikka in 300 WSM has the capability to kill anything in Norte America way further out than most people are comfortable shooting.

LightFoot

WKR
Browning X-Bolt Speed (regular or "LR")

Tikka T3X Wideland (or Alpine) Veil

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Not sure if the Sako A7 series is still available for everyone up there but I've been very happy with mine. I bought it used a few years ago with the Swaro Z3 3-10x42 on it and it has taken hundreds of animals. It's in .300WM and I load 180gn Woodleigh PPSN win mag bullets.

The factory synthetic stock started giving up recently so I sourced a carbon stock from a company in NZ called HiTec Composites. after getting my gunsmith to put the recoil lug in it and fit it, it shot exactly the same. very happy with it so far. Haven't killed anything with it yet but taking it after sambar soon.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather Stainless in 300WM early this year to scratch my 300 itch. Been too busy/weather hasn’t cooperated to get to the range so all I can say is it handles nicely.

My LAW 300 Win in the classifieds fits the bill, Just under 7 lbs, CRF, 3 position safety. Handloaded 215 bergers are moving 2900 fps+ with RL26. Shameless plug. Feel free to PM if interested.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
I’ve narrowed it down to Winchester model 70. Thanks for all the help. Now to decide between the featherweight and extreme weather.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Extreme weather 100%. The featherweights aren’t light or better to carry. They only continue to be made and purchased out of nostalgia.
I was surprised that all of the sporter M70 were the same weight once I started looking closer, I had assumed the featherweight would be lighter.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was surprised that all of the sporter M70 were the same weight once I started looking closer, I had assumed the featherweight would be lighter.

I think at the time it came out, the only way to lighten up rifles really was to whittle away the stock profile and shorten the barrel a bit. In the end at the time those rifles came out 4-6oz lighter was probably about as good as it got. Nowadays, unless you really love the featherweight or have a soft spot for the old days, there really isn’t much reason to buy one. That being said, they keep making them so people must keep buying them.

I’m a big fan of the EWSS, the ones I have/had were great. Well built, accurate and nice in general.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
Wow, the Model 70 extreme weather in SS is extremely dito find.
I bought a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather Stainless in 300WM early this year to scratch my 300 itch. Been too busy/weather hasn’t cooperated to get to the range so all I can say is it handles nicely.
Now that I’m looking for one, these are extremely hard to find. It says that they have discontinued the SS version.