300prc for whitetail? …. I know but hear me out

Mobullets

FNG
I have a 300prc that is a sweet shooter. I normally use 6.5 for whitetail. Using 205 berger elite hunters, you think it would be foolish to use it for whitetail?

I don’t think you can kill something to dead. If you hit chest/lungs heart damage to meat won’t be too bad. You punch shoulder and will loose some meat. Other than weight and cost you do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use what you want.

While I personally prefer one of my 6.5s for deer, I have taken quite a few deer (multiple whitetail species and mule deer) with a 300 (WM and Weatherby).

What kind of bullet did you use for the 300wm?
1) 300 WM (180 gr TTSX - Alberta whitetail) - Long shot to the chest but the buck dropped in his tracks. No issues with the meat.
2) 300 WM (190 gr Berger - Nebraska whitetail) - About 200 yard shot to the chest, buck never showed a sign of being hit, he wobbled and then dropped. No issues with the meat.
3) 300 WM (190 Berger - Nebraska whitetail) - About 300 yard shot to the jugular and the doe dropped instantly. No issues with the meat. Shot the jugular as I didn't want to lose meat (should have looked into this before going there).
4) 300 WM (190 gr Berger - Nebraska whitetail) - About 200 yard shot to the chest and the doe dropped immediately. No issues with the meat.

I’ve killed quite a few deer with rifles chambered in 338 Winchester Magnum. I’ve also killed quite a few elk with a 7mm-08. And vice versa as well.

God Bless America.

Best gun to shoot an animal with is the one in your hands... 👍

I have used the 300 Win Mag with the 180 XBT for whitetails in KS, muleys and elk in Colorado. XBT was the boat tail version of the original X bullet design. All had great meat preservation. Been using TSX and TTSX version for the past 15+ years, and same results with any number of other cartridges as well.

300prc go for it!

I have shot several whitetails with my 300 wm and 205 berger the last couple of years. I don't feel like it's too much for whitetails.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The only reason not to use it regardless of any other rifles you have to choose from is peer pressure, lol.

For me, tagging different species with the same gun is a fun pursuit. .270 Win and 30-06 have each done pronghorn, whitetails, mule deer and elk in my hands or the hands of my sons. 35 Whelen AI hasn't done a pronghorn, but flat works on elk, muleys and whitetails. My 300 Win Mag in post #9 has done all but pronghorn. Kinda proud of that core of cartridges taking care of literally any needs in 30 years across multiple species.

I have shot dozens of whitetails both buck & does from 50 to 500 yards with my 300 win mag loaded with 180gr. Nosler partitions. If your worried about meat loss shot them thru the lung area!

I’m building a 300PRC, But currently my 300 WM has done wonders on deer. One of them the shot angle changed a part of the back strap took a hit, only lost 2” of meat maybe. But lung shots all day I’ve never had them run or caused meat damage. Good bullet selection. I’ve moved really more towards Barnes LRX and going to try Hammer Hunters at some point. Closer ranges I’ve had ELDX frag some or separate, but it wasn’t made for closer shots.

I once shot a spike blacktail with a .300 RUM/208 A-max. I think you’ll be fine. 😂

I used a 300 win mag for years on whitetails. As long as I used heavier bullets that didn't expand too fast there was little meat damage. 180 gr pointed soft points did well. A 7mm mag with 150 gr ballistic tips completely destroyed deer. I had a doe that I had to scrap both front shoulders, all the rib meat and part of the back straps from a single shot.

Not foolish to use that cartridge but depends on the situation. If I had a 300 PRC it would be set up for more open country (longer barrel, higher magnification scope). Where I whitetail hunt primarily is not open at all so using my longer magnums doesn't make sense just based on the long barrel higher scope mag. I'll probably use my win mag setup this way for antelope next year because it shoots great.

As long as the bullet reliably expands at close ranges and you’re okay with some meat loss… go for it. I have a 300WM that I have taken to the field with me just because I hadn’t shot it in a while and it made me happy to take it out.

I was at the local gun club about a year ago and was shooting next to a guy with a 6.5 PRC. Custom built, carbon fiber barrel, muzzle brake, crazy $$$ scope. It looked like something right out of the American sniper movie. He said he had it "out west" a few times and killed a nice buck and doe with it. Standing next to a 6.5 PRC with a brake almost vibrates through your chest. I think he said he had roughly $3500 in it. Shoot what you want and what makes you happy! Remember too much is just enough!

Back