300 WSM help

archp625

WKR
I was hoping someone would help me. I have a Tikka action with a Carbon 6 barrel. The first two firings with ADG were fine. The third firing I noticed a really stiff bolt click at the top. The case doesn't show pressure signs like you would expect from this.

I did take some measurements of sized vs fired brass.

Sized brass base 0.554" Fired brass base 0.555"
Sized case overall length2.086" Fired case overall length 2.089"
Sized should to base length 1.744" Fired shoulder to base length 1.7465"

All the numbers seem to be in line with what they should be. I did notice that the die is almost missing the bottom on the case. This is the only thing I can see that stands out.

Pic 1.jpg

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR

A382DWDZQ

WKR
ps. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM. I had gotten some Nosler Custom brass, brand new, and the chamber was so tight that the bolt would not close on those cases. I had to bump the shoulders back a bit, but I don't recall how much. Factory rounds were a bit shorter and did fit.

Interesting. Had same thing happen with 6.5 PRC brass from ADG so sold the rifle and brass. I hope to god that I am not going to deal with the same issue with this rifle and brass.
Isn't ADG supposed to be good brass?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Isn't ADG supposed to be good brass?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes. I think the more I research the more I am reading that their case heads are so tough that I am getting spring back when sizing. I'm about ready to saw screw it an by norma that's softer

BjornF16

WKR
Don't want to burst your bubble, but it can happen with Norma brass as well...

Wheeler has a video (near the bottom titled "Clickers") that discusses the issue.

May want to try a different FL resizing die.

SDHNTR

WKR
How hot is your load?

I’m on my 4th firing with ADG brass in my .300 wsm, sized with a Redding Type S and no clicks.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but it can happen with Norma brass as well...

Wheeler has a video (near the bottom titled "Clickers") that discusses the issue.

May want to try a different FL resizing die.

From what I've read, it can help if you use a tighter base die from the first sizing so Norma brass + a tighter die might be a good fix. Saw wheeler mention in the previous linked thread that if you don't do it from the start, you're not going to get ADG brass to stop causing clickers.

I've only used norma or nosler brass in my 300 wsm and I cant shoot any tighter than it does. Maybe only 4 firings on it but no clickers and pockets are still tight with a redding FL bushing die.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I colored the case and see where it’s ribbing. Not where I thought. I did load one up with a grain less of powder and much better. C305DBA9-B452-40BE-960D-0B5807B6C425.png

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
Every now and then my brass will swell up at the base. 9 times out of 10 the neck splits and it’s done. That’s with 65 grains of Reloader 17. Yes I know 17 sucks but I have a lot of it.