300 wm change my mind.

Jonn44

FNG
Rookie season of rifle otc elk in CO for me. Just got back into deer hunting here in the great state of Tennessee. Mostly I hike with a gun lol. It’s a used Savage axis 308 with a weaver on it that I picked up at Cabelas for $217 outdoor couldn’t pass it up. Anyway as topic states .300 WM change my mind. Rookie season and all if the right pitch is there I’m going to swing and would like to hit a home-run.

Nothing at all wrong with a 300 WM (I elk hunt with a 300 WSM). However, the magnums aren't pleasant to shoot or if they are (i.e. braked) they are VERY loud. Make sure you can actually shoot your rifle from a variety of shooting positions under pressure (see Forms Equipment vs Practice thread for a good drill to help you). My 300 WSM started out braked. It now wears a TBAC Ultra 7 as the noise was very unpleasant in a hunting situation. I shoot it from different positions every chance I get. Also, rookie season OTC elk hunting is TOUGH. If you aren't going with a seasoned veteran who knows the area you are hunting, the odds are against you having any success. Colorado OTC success rates aren't great. My first year was tag soup but I learned a LOT about elk and elk hunting. My second year I tagged out on a nice OTC 6x6 bull. I'm still no expert but I now know what to look for and I have a better idea how to approach things. Good luck to you.

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
Thanks @MidGAHunter for the insight. Tag soup is hard to swallow even in my own turf dreaming of a mountain buck. One of my closest friends is going with me and we are relishing the adventure already. I plan on using a suppressor anyway I go because “why not”! I have a couple of contacts here local that I’ve been in touch with that have several seasons and meat in the freezer under their belt. I have 100% confidence that we will be successful. If there’s any room for doubt you might as well stay home. I will look into the .300 wsm for sure though !

I see 300 WSM on the shelves far more often than WM. Either will more than do the job. No matter what you do, shot placement will always be paramount.

Another East TN hunter, or as you said woods walker....lol I love my Browning XBolt Max Long Range 300 Win Mag. Shot my CO elk at 505 yards this year!!!!

elkguide

WKR
I, elkguide, am a .30 caliber fanboy/fanatic!

I have rifles in 4 different .30 calibers. I use them for everything from coyotes to elk and a lot in between. While working as an elk hunting guide, I was always glad to have my hunter carrying a .30 caliber rifle if they were comfortable with it. People will often tell me that my .300 Win Mag is overkill for this or that animal but I don't know how much deader than dead, dead can be.

As I said at the beginning, even though I have rifles in 4 different chamberings of .30 caliber, but 9 out of 10 times that I head out hunting, I grab a .300 Win Mag.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing at all wrong with a 300 WM (I elk hunt with a 300 WSM). However, the magnums aren't pleasant to shoot or if they are (i.e. braked) they are VERY loud. Make sure you can actually shoot your rifle from a variety of shooting positions under pressure (see Forms Equipment vs Practice thread for a good drill to help you). My 300 WSM started out braked. It now wears a TBAC Ultra 7 as the noise was very unpleasant in a hunting situation. I shoot it from different positions every chance I get. Also, rookie season OTC elk hunting is TOUGH. If you aren't going with a seasoned veteran who knows the area you are hunting, the odds are against you having any success. Colorado OTC success rates aren't great. My first year was tag soup but I learned a LOT about elk and elk hunting. My second year I tagged out on a nice OTC 6x6 bull. I'm still no expert but I now know what to look for and I have a better idea how to approach things. Good luck to you.
Hi. How do I find the Forms Equipment vs Practice thread you mentioned? I did a search for those words and ended up back at your post.

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
Appreciated @elkguide I keep hearing, reading, watching and the majority comes back to 30 caliber being king.

Rat

FNG
300 WM is a great caliber, personally I would go for for the 300 wsm just because it's a little shorter gun and a little easier to maneuver inside a deer blind. Ballistics are very close, you won't be disappointed either way.

elkguide

WKR
Appreciated @elkguide I keep hearing, reading, watching and the majority comes back to 30 caliber being king.

I like the WSM a bunch with the shorter action and thusly a lighter rifle and if I am doing nothing but hills, I sometimes grab one of them but I have grown very fond of heavier bullets for elk or big mule deer, ie: 210 or 215 grainers and after hundreds of bullets down range I can't get any of the WSM's that I own to keep up with the Win Mags with the heavy's.

Hi. How do I find the Forms Equipment vs Practice thread you mentioned? I did a search for those words and ended up back at your post.

Search for this: Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting.

It is on the first page in this sub-forum. Form=Formidilosus. He is a wealth of knowledge and his shooting drill is fantastic for practicing hunting scenarios.

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
What does that even mean? So I need to go ahead with the 300 or not? Either way thanks!

Wapiti1

WKR
What does that even mean? So I need to go ahead with the 300 or not? Either way thanks!
It means go buy the rifle. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't transcend the internet well.

It's a solid choice for any occasion outside of Africa's dangerous game.

Jeremy

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
@Wapiti1 I was smellin what you were sellin! Agree with the sarcasm and transcendence. My response was typed with a grin! Any recommendations?