300 Win Mag Question

brant89

FNG
Ran the 200 ELD-X in my 300WM for years, wasn't getting the kind of blood trails I was looking for so I switched to the Berger 208 LRHT and my initial impressions are that they are more difficult to tune (maybe just my rifle) but they are absolutely devastating on deer size game. Hopefully I can respond back in a few weeks regarding their effectiveness on elk.

hunterjmj

WKR
Been shooting the Berger 215 Hybrid for about 6 years now with great results. 3 antelope, 4 mule deer, some whitetail does and 5 cow elk. All have been an entrance hole, devastated insides and sometimes an exit. A bunch were drt and the rest didn't go far. It's a great combo for my 300 and took little effort to find an accurate load.

Only one it's gotta be the 180 grn nosler acubond. I can say I am currently experimenting with the 200 grn terminal ascent. I like it so far but I don't think it will replace the good old acubond for me.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve tried 185&210 gr bergers, didn’t have good luck with the 185s vs if I was running a high weight retention bullet on the same shot. I had bad luck with 200gr eldx on antelope. Definitely do not recommend those. Ultimately have had great luck with both 190&200gr LrX.

mabrams

FNG
215 bergers. They shoot amazing accurate and preform greatly for us. Have shot antelope to moose with them and seldom need a follow up shot. Well the moose did as it was still standing but most of the others just flop over dead.

Wrench

WKR
I like the way the 215 and 200.20x jackets open at almost any velocity, but I honestly don't care what it is provided it meets the following criteria;

It has to shoot consistently reasonable.

It needs to perform in my expected velocity window.

It needs to be available.

I have several 300's and they all have a slight different preference for ammo. The 215 and 200.20x, 225eldm, 200ab and 180ab are all first choices in one of them.

If I have a finicky 300....I feed it a partition. The partition is not sexy on paper for bc, but inside 600 it's a great first choice.....and it NEVER fails.