.300 win mag ammo.

Wireman07

WKR
I have a stock Savage model 111 .300 win mag. And the bullets that I find work fairly well are the Federal blue box 150gr or 180gr. I haven't dabbled in any of the high end partitions or anything. I'm just curious what everyone else shoots out of their stock .300 win mags. Thanks everyone!

bayou0509

FNG
Classified Approved
I had success with Federal Terminal Ascents but I ultimately ended up dialing my new 300 win mag in with Choice Ammunition 200 gr eldx. I wouldn't have a problem settling with either one. Rifle is a Browning X bolt Mountain Pro long range

This is what I would recommend. It's a bit spendy at $3.60 each round but it'll kill animals dead. Comes with quality ADG brass that can be reloaded for many firings or sold as once fired brass.

This is what I would recommend. It's a bit spendy at $3.60 each round but it'll kill animals dead. Comes with quality ADG brass that can be reloaded for many firings or sold as once fired brass.

That sounds messy.

KenLee

WKR
I have a stock Savage model 111 .300 win mag. And the bullets that I find work fairly well are the Federal blue box 150gr or 180gr. I haven't dabbled in any of the high end partitions or anything. I'm just curious what everyone else shoots out of their stock .300 win mags. Thanks everyone!
What do you hunt? Those cheap power shoks are deadly and usually very accurate.

The Guide

WKR
I started with and killed a ton of deer and elk with Remington CoreLokt 180 grain factory loads. I got tired of the random poor shots or misses that I would get when I was sure I was good on the aiming and trigger pull and started down the rabbit hole. I have a number of 300WM rifles now and most of them like Berger bullets and I like their performance on game. If I had 1 factory load for you to try I would suggest trying the Berger loaded ammo with the 185 grain bullet.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019873849?pid=342599

Jay

Messy in what way?

A lightly constructed bullet, not particularly heavy for caliber, at high impact velocity sounds like a wide and somewhat shallow wound. I had big "messy" entrance wounds with 175 ELDx which is more stoutly built, higher sectional density, and @ about 200 FPS slower MV.

Basically i'm saying a heavier for caliber, lower MV option sounds more attractive to me if using ELDs with a WM.

A lightly constructed bullet, not particularly heavy for caliber, at high impact velocity sounds like a wide and somewhat shallow wound. I had big "messy" entrance wounds with 175 ELDx which is more stoutly built, higher sectional density, and @ about 200 FPS slower MV.

Basically i'm saying a heavier for caliber, lower MV option sounds more attractive to me if using ELDs with a WM.
Not all rifles (twist/magazine) and people can handle heavy for caliber bullets. The ELD-M isn't an ELD-X.

The Guide

WKR
Not all rifles (twist/magazine) and people can handle heavy for caliber bullets. The ELD-M isn't an ELD-X.
I have two 300WM rifles that I run 215 Bergers in and one that won't run more than a 185 Berger due to twist and magazine restrictions so you are correct in your statement. Would I love to run all the same bullets/ammo? Sure I would but when you are limited and find a good combo that fits within those limitations, run with it. That Tikka T3 (got it CHEAP when they were liquidating for the new T3X) has killed lots of elk and deer with that 185 Berger plus it is a peach to carry and shoot if you like shooting 8# 300WM rifles...

Jay

TheHammer

WKR
What are you hunting? How far are you planning on shooting? Typically savages are not that picky. Mine likes Berger’s 185-210s, factory hornady were sub moa, barnes 190lrx were very accurate factory loads, ultimately I had unknown munitions do a pretty hot load development with a 200gr lrx.

Pick a bullet for the job and see if the rifle likes it.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
What do you hunt? Those cheap power shoks are deadly and usually very accurate.
I use them for antelope up to elk. The power shoks are by far the best cheaper bullet I've shot out of my gun compared to 4 or 5 other cheaper rounds I've tried. I was just curious if it's worth an extra $40-$50 a box for the top of line ammo.

180ls1

WKR
I use them for antelope up to elk. The power shoks are by far the best cheaper bullet I've shot out of my gun compared to 4 or 5 other cheaper rounds I've tried. I was just curious if it's worth an extra $40-$50 a box for the top of line ammo.

That's pretty subjective. I've watched my dad run all sorts of everything (cheap and expensive) ammo through his 300wm and kill everything (javelina - multiple bull elk) without issue.

The Hornady 195 match can be had for $2 a round and since its the bullet that does the killing I certainly think its worth the upgrade. However, its definitely not needed.

Mcseal

FNG

Nosler E-Tip 300 Winchester Magnum Ammo 180 Grain Nosler Expansion Tip (E-Tip)​

A buddy and I both shoot the Nosler E-Tip ammo in our 300's. Both rifles shoot it sub MOA. It's nice to have one ammo for both guns while traveling. It has worked flawlessly on everything from deer to moose.

My rifle shoots the Barnes factory loaded TTSX 165 grain very accurately. It is a Browning HCS.