30-06 thoughts.

CajunLab

FNG
Not the op but have been doing research on a 300wsm for a 500 and in rifle now you fellas have me thinking ol tried and true as another option. Most of my hunting will be done in South Carolina over cutovers and bean fields with a trip to Nebraska every year for whitetail.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
You just can't beat the 30-06. No, it is not sexy, but rather vanilla, but has been working forever. Sure, its exciting to have a cartridge that calls out MAGNUM, but damn those things hurt to shoot! Pretty cool to see the taper, the belt, and the massive bolt face of a 7mm MAGNUM, but damn they hurt to shoot! Get yourself a 30-06, and see if you don't love it. And if you do the 30-06, and still want for something more sexy, punch it out to an Ackley, or re-barrel to 338-06.

There are definitely more efficient cartridges from a ballistics/recoil perspective, but if the .30-06 you have shoots well I would say don’t mess with success. There’s a reason it has persisted as one of the most popular big game cartridges for so long.