3 pin ascent verdict help

Ac338

WKR
Well I just ordered my first 3 pin slider from s&s last night and would like some input on whether I should change the setup while I have time. I went with all green pins and got .019 010. .019 in that order. I saw where people like using the middle as rover and want to try. Should I switch that bottom pin to .010 as well (19,10,10)or leave it at .019? Thanks.

ShakeDown

WKR
I shoot middle pin as the float. .019, .010, .019.

Lots use bottom pin to get some additional range if you are shooting a lower draw weight/ shorter DL or a heavier arrow set up.

I like the larger fiber on bottom with middle pin float for visibility, particularly in lower light.

OP
A

Ac338

WKR
I shoot middle pin as the float. .019, .010, .019.

Lots use bottom pin to get some additional range if you are shooting a lower draw weight/ shorter DL or a heavier arrow set up.

I like the larger fiber on bottom with middle pin float for visibility, particularly in lower light.
Thanks I'll probably just leave it be then. My draw is 27.5 60# halon 32 400 spine axis.

ShakeDown

WKR
Thanks I'll probably just leave it be then. My draw is 27.5 60# halon 32 400 spine axis.

I don’t think you should have any trouble with your set up, but if you were to have any clearance issues it’s a pretty easy swap to change a pin.

Sobrbiker

WKR
How far are you looking tobshhot, and how fast is your setup pitching how heavy of arrows? My Elite Tempo at 28”60# shoots 27.75” Nv to insert 450gr arrows about 253fps, and I just barely clear sight housing at 100yds (furthest practice range) using bottom pin as slider just above the level.
I was thinking about switching to center pin as slider (I went full buck fever and used the center pin instead of bottom pin on a 53yd shot on my very first archery buck opportunity), but am concerned about being limited on distance to practice at.

Something to ponder...

OP
A

Ac338

WKR
Definitely good food for thought thanks. I'm not sure on my arrow weight or speed at the moment. I'm in the process of switching from vap tko to Easton axis 340 spine, as well as changing to 75% letoff and dropping a 1/2" to 27.5" mods and I'm also waiting on new JBK strings I ordered a few days ago, and switching rests back to limbdriver pro v from qad. So as you can see my setup is currently a work in process. I'd like to practice to 100 but wouldn't shoot past 45 in a hunting situation. I'm good with the buck fever so far, my heart pumps good until I draw then I settle down quick. However my first elk hunt is this september and who knows what will happen with a bull at 20 yards, hopefully I find out though. I've been around elk when I lived in CO but never in a hunting situation.Thanks again for the response.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the 3 pin with the .010 on the bottom and have shot out to 85 without issues. My preference is to have the bottom pin as the floater. Try it both ways, and see what you prefer.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ascent verdict on a 6” dove tail with 5 pins. I like to practice out at further distances. I use the .10 bottom pin as my floater. If you wanna practice out to further ranges and have a lot of drop on your arrow I’d move my floater to the bottom. Most due to clearance issues. With that said you can set it all up the way you have it and always change the pins around. Not very hard to do just be careful with the carbon fiber when taking the cover off!

If I were you I’d go bottom 2 .10 the. You can try both ways. I run .19 green, .19 red, and .10 yellow. If I was having another sight built I’d do .19,.10,.10 all in green.

OP
A

Ac338

WKR
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm going to try floating the middle for now and if I run into any issues I'll just swap the .010 pin to the bottom.

all preference, you will have to figure that out. you building the middle as your floater shows that makes sense in your mind, and I like the bottom pin for my floater.

I have found for myself, the more simple I make things, the better it is for me, always shot the bottom pin as my longest pin, and I wouldn't reinvent that wheel.

we're all a little different, and have to find our own way on some things. try it different ways and see what's most comfortable