3/4 vs Full Length Base Layers?

I've been wearing Minus 33 bottoms for the past several years and like them, but getting my hands on that new merino-x from FL has really made me think about some bottoms, but I was disappointed to find out that they only offer the 250 weight in the 3/4 length.

I think I'd rather have full length bottoms, but for those of you that use the 3/4 ones, what am I missing? Whats the advantages/disadvantages of them vs full length bottoms?

I got some 3/4 Aerowool from FL also. I'm 6'4" tall so these are more like 5/8 on me ... but I digress.

Early season their just sort of a light pair for me. Better than just the boxers but not too warm down the lower legs.

Late season, there's times I wear 2 layers of socks and tall boots,where the full length adds a little too much bulk.

So they are a bit of a compromise for me. I actually like wearing them as pajamas too. Ms Toad don't mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t have any from firstlite, just commenting on the length. It makes sense for the zip off feature for the ones from kuiu. My pair from skre also fit 3/4. Honestly it just felt weird at first. Once used to it it’s no big deal. If the exposed part of my leg gets chilled I pull my sock up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most of the regular sizes are already 3/4 length on me, but I hate the cuffs tight around the middle of my calves. It's not like I need wicking of the sweat from my knees to my ankles, but I prefer the cuffs to be at least close to my ankles for comfort.

Kind of like the long sleeve base layers where the cuffs are around my forearms. I don't really need sweat wicking from my forearm to my wrist so that's not a big deal for me, as I'll even wear short sleeve base tops.

Minus 33 is the only maker I can find that makes the bottoms long enough in their Tall, but they only come in like a 220ish weight in a Tall. I'd prefer a 170ish weight, but the 220's work as well......just a little warmer than I'd like, but I'm not as sensitive to the temps in my legs.

GPool1842

WKR
Been curious about them as well. Ended up doing the 200 and the 350 since they both come in full length. I may pick up the 150 or 250 3/4 later on to try.. I don’t know if I would like them or not..

ericF

WKR
3/4 work just as good as full length in my experience and then you don't have to worry about the extra clothing within your boot. Either way, the zip on/off feature is probably the greatest thing ever done with base layers in my opinion. I don't know why other companies haven't started offering this more, but not having to take your boots on and off to switch your baselayers is great.

Trial153

WKR
I have to get a pair. I often skip bottom bases for the very reason that i dont like it under my socks.

I have the 3/4 length aerowool. I put them on and it made my legs colder ! Of course I was just trying them on, I'm sure under a pair of pants it will help keep me warm. I am bringing them along if for no other reason they are light and I will wear them in my sleeping bag at night If I need to. I am interested to see how much difference they make. I am wearing over the calf socks and gaiters so there is some logic to the 3/4 length as far as bulk and boot fit goes.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
but not having to take your boots on and off to switch your baselayers is great.

The only time I switch out my baselayers is after a week straight of wearing them. I even wear them to bed. That's why I wear merino. So taking off my boots isn't an issue at that point. I would hate some zipper against my skin on my base layers. Seams are bad enough.

I like my kuiu zip offs. If you wear taller socks and/or boots the lower leg is covered already. For low top boots maybe they don’t work.

Back to the kuius it is great to take them off while wearing my boots.

I tried 3/4 bottoms. They were TIGHT around my calves and thighs...as in leaving indented circles after wearing. I've never wanted to drop base layers while hunting, but that's me. In colder weather I always sleep in my base layer and I'm not fond of either having to wear tall hunting socks in the bag, or having my lower calves/ankles feel cool in the night. Anyway...no 3/4 for me. I'm glad guys like them. I do my shopping with the companies that offer full length bottoms from 150 to 250 weight.