3:1 Haul Ratio for hanging meat in the Backcountry

Poser

WKR
I should have taken better pics of this system, but I did not.

When it comes to properly securing meat in the backcountry, I find most hunter attitudes to be rather cavalier, usually along the lines of "I don't hang my meat in a predator proof manner and I've never had a problem." Well, I've had a problem before and lost a full game bag of elk meat to a bear while I was 3 hours down the mountain. In the past, I have attempted to hang my meat the same way I hang food with 2 cords, one of which is running through a carabiner. The problem you run into is there is simply too much friction to hoist more than about 50 lbs to at least 8 feet off the ground.

Once these Wiser precision pulleys became available, I knew this system could now become a reality in the backcountry.

The idea on paper:

pulley-3-1-basic.jpg
Seems simple enough in concept. I've even done this hauling heavy loads of gear for big wall climbing on faces such as El Cap and Half Dome in Yosemite, however, there is a fleet of specialized equipment for such hauling, you're using 10 mm rope which is much easier to work with and bolts for your anchors.

When it comes to setting up this system using trees, you have a few problems to consider.
1. Rope stretch in the system
2. Lightweight cord that is strong enough to handle load up to 250# in a geared fashion
3. Sufficiently strong trees with little flex under this kind of tension

What do you need?
Two 60 feet sections of 7/64 Amsteel cord
One 120 foot section of 7/64 Amsteel cord
3 Wiser Precision pulleys

The test on this cord is around 1500 lbs

Your two 60 footers will be your cross section ropes. You'll toss these over tree limbs and then tension them laterally. They won't be limited by the strength of the limb rather the lateral strength of the tree. In order to account for stretch, you'll need to get these high, definitely North of 15 feet up. Around 20 feet is going to be ideal. 20 feet up, 20 feet down is 40 feet. You have 60 foot cord to allow for the lateral expansion and room to tie off. 50 feet of cord probably won't be enough.

For your geared haul line, you need a single long section of cord that can go up and down the vertical length of your setup 3 times and still have room to hoist and tie off. Tying multiple pieces of cord together will not work since you cannot pass knots through the pulleys. 100 feet minimum, 120 feet is better.

IMG_7284.jpg

Pulley and tie off at the game bags.

IMG_7285.PNG
The 2 lateral lines equalized with a figure 8 knot on a bite, carabiner at the loop below the figure 8 and 2 Wiser Precision pulleys hanging from the carabiner on a loop of cord. The cord kicking out at 90 degrees is the hoist line.

IMG_7286 (1).jpg

200 lbs hoisted 9-10 feet in the air and laterally clear of any other trees. Get you a burly stick, wrap the cord around it about 10 times and pull. One strong person can manage 200 lbs. Its of course easier with 2 people, but one person can do it.
I wouldn't recommend setting this up in the dark. Its also going to take longer to get this set up and get the kinks worked out than you think, but your meat is now free hanging and secure while you are in the process of your pack out.

Last edited:

taskswap

WKR
I'm in the "never had a problem" category. It really helps if you buy the add-on bear tag - doing that greatly reduces your chances of seeing them. :p On a more serious note, a bear will take an easy meal if it can. We always hang our bags at least 50' from the carcass to be safe.

That being said, this looks like a very interesting pulley. It's insanely light. I'm not completely clear how that ball-bearing lets the line spool freely over it without any pinching but I might get a pair just to play with.

Where I hunt I've done pretty well with just a 10' length of bank line. I tie 3x "alpine butterfly" loops about a foot apart, and tie it around a tree. I can hang my game bags about 5' off the ground easily that way and what it does for me is keep them out of the dirt, in the shade (north side of the tree) and keeps the coyotes from getting to it. I haven't had a problem with coyotes either, but a friend has, and this only takes 5 minutes to do so why not?

It also makes them easier to see if a friend is en route to help with a pack-out. The way our group runs, everyone hunts til legal light ends, and pack-out help happens at night, so getting the reflective tags on the game bags up to eye level helps them find them more easily.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I'm in the "never had a problem" category. It really helps if you buy the add-on bear tag - doing that greatly reduces your chances of seeing them. :p On a more serious note, a bear will take an easy meal if it can. We always hang our bags at least 50' from the carcass to be safe.

That being said, this looks like a very interesting pulley. It's insanely light. I'm not completely clear how that ball-bearing lets the line spool freely over it without any pinching but I might get a pair just to play with.

Where I hunt I've done pretty well with just a 10' length of bank line. I tie 3x "alpine butterfly" loops about a foot apart, and tie it around a tree. I can hang my game bags about 5' off the ground easily that way and what it does for me is keep them out of the dirt, in the shade (north side of the tree) and keeps the coyotes from getting to it. I haven't had a problem with coyotes either, but a friend has, and this only takes 5 minutes to do so why not?

It also makes them easier to see if a friend is en route to help with a pack-out. The way our group runs, everyone hunts til legal light ends, and pack-out help happens at night, so getting the reflective tags on the game bags up to eye level helps them find them more easily.

Those pulleys can also be used to hoist an animal out from under deadfall or secure a carcass on a steep slope. -massively useful and, for the weight, no reason not to always have 2-3 available + some cord.