2pc vs Travel Rod for Alaska

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy a couple rods for a family trip to the Kenai peninsula this summer. I am torn between a travel vs 2pc Rod. I was thinking either a medium to medium heavy 8’6” rod and a light trout rod. I already bought a Plano Airliner Case but it’s kind of bulky and we will be traveling with strollers already. 4pc rods would be more convenient but I am wondering if I’m sacrificing sensitivity and limited to certain applications.

Looks like Santiam Rods get good reviews and are made in Oregon so either way might give them my business.

I would love to fly fish but never have and am not sure if this trip would be the best time to learn.

Also heard from some that most do the kenai flip but I would assume that is for sockeye and since I will be there the last 2 weeks in June we might miss the runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fitzwho

WKR
I'd go with a 3-4 piece travel rods. Something like a 7' Light to Medium Light spinning rod for the trout setup. I have a 4 piece Fenwick Eagle GT Light action travel rod that has caught everything from trout and bluegills to bonita (little tunnies) over 5 pounds. Its probably the best fishing rod I have ever owned, especially for the money. St. Croix makes some good stuff and Okuma's travel rods are pretty decent. Daiwa is also about to release an 8' 5" Ardito Travel Musky Rod line. Just announced yesterday.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2023/05...muskie-travel-rods-at-indiana-muskie-classic/

Fly rods are pretty much universally 3 or 4 piece just because they tend to be so much longer--that's a pretty large population of rods out there getting it done. So, I would 100% go with a travel rod. Very limited downside compared to the travelability upside.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite rod for the Kenai peninsula, at least for silvers and reds has been a med action 7wt. Great for the smaller rivers and streams and has worked for me (within reason) on bigger sections where fish can really run. It also does okay for trout on windy lakes but of course not as much fun or finesse as a lighter rod.

The last two weeks of June are peak of the early run on the upper river. If you want to fish sockeye, give Fish Em LLC a call and learn the ropes on a guided trip. Save yourself a few days of frustration and empty stringers trying to teach yourself. If you're going guided, go with someone that leaves no later than 5 am that time of year and try to go mid week. The upper river will be a full on ZOO from June 15 through solstice weekend.

You could just go to Costco when you get to town and buy whatever the JBER special is and that will work fine. I was just there and I think it was a 9wt outfitted combo for around $130. Same with just going to Cabelas's and buying their generic combo. I like 7-9 Wt set ups. Almost everything I have is 7/8. But, I fish circle hooks and don't do the Kenai rip so basically never foul hook fish. Most guys are constantly hooking fish in the back and the tail and are halfway into their backing trying to fight fish on too light of a set up. It's frustrating as sh!t to watch. The river is fast and sockeye pack a punch. I love it.

Stuff gets beat up so my current preferred set up that walks a line of reliable/affordable is a 7/8 Reddington Behemoth on an Okuma SLV 4 pc (amazon). I have 2 of them reels and 4 of the rods. They pull their weight and handle fish well and it won't ruin my night if the rod shatters or reel gets lost/wrecked. I always carry a backup rod and reel. I typically shatter at least one rod a season (from $50 rods to $500, doesn't matter so that's why I use mid tier). I would bring a 5wt to fish most other streams on the Kenai.

edit: I've traveled a bunch for work and play hauling around different rods. When I would bring a 2 pc 9ft rod, it would be a crap shoot on where it would go in the plane. You got strollers, so that likely means you get to board first, so it may not be an issue (if they fit in overhead). But it's been about 50/50 if they fit up top or have to fly in the flight attendant closet.

Last edited:
I would fish a 7-8wt fly rod doing the Kenai Flip or 7wt for the big bows trailing the spawning salmon. You're probably too early for flesh flies so beads would be the game on a fly rod.
I fished a fast-action steelhead rod for Reds flipping and I can tell you, fresh sockeye in the Kenai/Kasilof current had no trouble breaking off 30lb PowerPro braid. Not sure that was the best line for that fishery...I think mono is more forgiving.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak to AK, but I fish both out west and southern saltwater every year. Being as I'm in the mid south, my gear is going on planes for these trips. I use mostly 3-4 piece as they're much easier to pack and travel on planes, but I always bring a 2 piece with me out west just because I like the rod action. Never had a problem getting the 2 piece on board. Honestly have had more issues getting the 2 piece in to some of the rental cars I've had....With modern technology haven't noticed any difference in strength/performance between 2,3 and 4 piece setups. FWIW, using primarily Sage with some St. Croix on the less expensive side.

Listen to them about bringing a heavier (7-8wt) rod. I brought a 4-5 weight and it didn’t cut it for them big rainbows!! For grayling and stuff it was fine. But then 20-30” bows will beat you up on a light rod. Never tried salmon on the fly rod. Had a medium heavy spin rod for them. It was 4 piece travel type. It worked well. My fly rod was a 2 piece and I carried it own with no issues.

Arthas

FNG
I bought a 5 piece travel rod for my hike in trout adventures or just bring "in case we want to fish". Once you have a nice travel rod, you will never want to pack anything else for those we might fish some or only a little fishing type experiences. If it is a fishing focused trip, take the nicest rod(s) you can get away with whether it's 2 or 4 piece.

OP
richyrich408

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the advice, as much as I like the idea of an 8 wt fly rod I have never fly fished and would not have a lot of opportunity to use it elsewhere I would be guessing. If I went the spinning rod route would anyone advise 2pc vs 4pc. I called Alaska Air today and it seemed like it would not be a problem to bring either one. The travel rod would be more helpful walking the rivers I guess with kids though.

Thought about buying there as well but will be doing a week in Seattle before Alaska and would like to fish there as well, Probably pier fishing with the father in law.

OP
richyrich408

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
The last two weeks of June are peak of the early run on the upper river. If you want to fish sockeye, give Fish Em LLC a call and learn the ropes on a guided trip. Save yourself a few days of frustration and empty stringers trying to teach yourself. If you're going guided, go with someone that leaves no later than 5 am that time of year and try to go mid week. The upper river will be a full on ZOO from June 15 through solstice weekend.

You could just go to Costco when you get to town and buy whatever the JBER special is and that will work fine. I was just there and I think it was a 9wt outfitted combo for around $130. Same with just going to Cabelas's and buying their generic combo. I like 7-9 Wt set ups. Almost everything I have is 7/8. But, I fish circle hooks and don't do the Kenai rip so basically never foul hook fish. Most guys are constantly hooking fish in the back and the tail and are halfway into their backing trying to fight fish on too light of a set up. It's frustrating as sh!t to watch. The river is fast and sockeye pack a punch. I love it.

Stuff gets beat up so my current preferred set up that walks a line of reliable/affordable is a 7/8 Reddington Behemoth on an Okuma SLV 4 pc (amazon). I have 2 of them reels and 4 of the rods. They pull their weight and handle fish well and it won't ruin my night if the rod shatters or reel gets lost/wrecked. I always carry a backup rod and reel. I typically shatter at least one rod a season (from $50 rods to $500, doesn't matter so that's why I use mid tier). I would bring a 5wt to fish most other streams on the Kenai.

edit: I've traveled a bunch for work and play hauling around different rods. When I would bring a 2 pc 9ft rod, it would be a crap shoot on where it would go in the plane. You got strollers, so that likely means you get to board first, so it may not be an issue (if they fit in overhead). But it's been about 50/50 if they fit up top or have to fly in the flight attendant closet.

I would love to do a guided trip to learn the ropes fly fishing but I blew my fishing charter allowance on a full day halibut charter in Seward.

Thank you all for the advice, as much as I like the idea of an 8 wt fly rod I have never fly fished and would not have a lot of opportunity to use it elsewhere I would be guessing. If I went the spinning rod route would anyone advise 2pc vs 4pc. I called Alaska Air today and it seemed like it would not be a problem to bring either one. The travel rod would be more helpful walking the rivers I guess with kids though.

Thought about buying there as well but will be doing a week in Seattle before Alaska and would like to fish there as well, Probably pier fishing with the father in law.

Plenty of places to buy gear in Seattle if you need to.
Let me know if you need guidance.

ColeyG

WKR

This is great advice. Regarding sockeye, most people I see in the combat lines on the Upper Kenai are under gunned for sockeye. Not only does that cost them fish, it costs other people fish as their foul hooked fish peels line and gums up the works for 100 yards downstream. I have bags full of "Russian River Coho Flies," the worst yet somehow most popular "lure" for flossing reds, most of which I've pulled of of the backs and bellies of fish after other anglers broke them off.

Circle hooks and stout gear is the way to go. Very few foul hooked fish and excellent hooked to landed ratio.
I fish single piece 12wt fly rod with 50lb braid (mono leader) and it rarely takes more than a few tugs and 30 seconds to land a sockeye when flossing. Shorter rods are better than longer rods for flossing as well. 8' is plenty. Any longer and it gets pretty unwieldy when fishing in close quarters.

For trout, an 11' 7wt switch rod is my favorite for fishing the Kenai and most other southcentral streams. This setup works well for swinging and fishing beads.