280AI brass question (Nosler vs PO Ackley)

nphunter

WKR
So when I built/bought my 280AI it had been chambered with the OG Ackley reamer. At the time Nosler had just come out with their version.

Anyway back then brass wasn’t really around and I fire formed Norma brass for my rifle. When Nosler brass became readily available there was a bunch of controversy on wether or not it could be safety used in the original Ackley rifles due to a difference in head spacing between the two. I already had Norma brass and was fire forming so I didn’t worry too much about it.

Fast forward to now and I’ve reloaded my brass several times now and thinking about buying some more to have on hand. I’m curious if anyone with an original Ackley rifle has had luck with Nosler or if I should just pick up some more Norma and form it. I figure by now there has to be way more info on this since the Nosler 280AI is so popular now. Reading online there is a lot of back and forth but most of those posts are old and I’d rather just try to get info from someone that has actually tried or researched this themselves.

Appreciate the info.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I cant help you with the reamer dimensions of old vs new; but you should be able to run whatever you get through a FL sizer and be close right? After one firing you'll have "fire formed" anyway.

You cant do much better than petersen brass: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/113347
Thanks for the link.

The original concerns was the new brass is too short so sizing wouldn’t help in that case. Apparently there was/is a headspace difference and there is too much headspace when using 280AI brass in and original Ackley gun.
I was just curious if anyone had tried and if there were issues or if it was all a bunch of talk at the time.