.280 Rem

Wondering if anyone is shooting a .280 Rem. Ive had one for years and its just a plane jane set up with a Nikon 3x9 and I just use it for hunting whitetails in Wisconsin. Most areas I cant shoot over 150 yards so Ive only shot this gun out to 200 on a buck I killed a few years back with it. I am planning on a new scope, stock, bipod, and probably switching ammo for an antelope hunt next year. Just wondering how guys have there .280s set up.

rcook10

WKR
I inherited my dads custom mauser in 280. It's very old school; mannlicher stock, express sights, sweet old fixed 4 power pecar scope, steel buttplate (ow). Still running the same 160gr grand slams he has been shooting through it since he had it built some time in the early 80s. Though I am sad to say it hasn't had it's legs stretched in several years I am hopeful to take it out next year. I'd honestly say if it's your "old reliable" that you should leave it alone and just shoot the heck out of it. Changing up your load for somehting fast and flat wouldn't hurt for goats but you probably don't need to.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka that was my first rifle given to me as a kid. Shot factory ammo for awhile before I started reloading and it has always shot great. I have loads worked up for 140 Berger VLDs and 140 Sierra Gamekinds and they both shoot around .3 MOA. Absolutely love shooting it and it's killed a pile of deer and elk from 50-300 yards. I don't get around to shooting it much anymore but take it out every now and again and run a couple rounds down the tube. It'll be my son's first rifle here in a couple of years.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I have several rifles from 223 to 375 in several different configurations, but #1 in the line up is always my browning x-bolt in 280 rem. If you reload you can really make it sing by bumping up the weak sami spec pressure to a still safe 63 to 64 psi.

letrbuck

WKR
First and only rifle I had until a couple years ago is a 280 rem. Can definitely squeeze more performance out of it if you load to 270 win pressure

danny6172

FNG
Super underrated round. My old man has a model 70 chambered in 280 rem and he let me borrow it on an elk hunt. I used it to take my first bull shooting a 140 gr barnes ttsx. It’s a shame it never got the love that the 270 win did

ndsportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had and shot a .280 for most my hunting life, I have taken everything from pronghorn up to Canadian moose. Its always been my go to rifle, nothing fancy Rem 700 action, H-S Precision stock, Timney trigger topped with Nikon 4-16 scope. I load exclusively Nosler Accubonds with Great success, shoot flat out accurate and reliable performance on animals. Its taken a back seat recently as I've recently purchased a 6.5 PRC just as something new to experiment with.

The 280 Remington is a fantastic cartridge. All I shot in mine were 140 gr. Partitions or Accubonds. Both are great bullets as is the 140 gr. E-Tip. You don't say what make and model rifle you have. Need more information to help maybe suggest some things you might like, at least I do. 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle sure is a great scope to put on it. I sure like it on my 280AI.

Motown

WKR
I have a semi custom built on a 700 action with a pacnor barrel. I like the rifle and with RL26 it is pretty much like a 280ai as it pushes 140gr bullets around 3200-3250 very accurately. Sadly though I rarely use the rifle and I guess I am just more of a tikka guy.

nvkevin

FNG
I won a Winchester Super Grade chambered in 280 Rem in a raffle. I gave it to my son for his first rifle when he drew his Nevada elk tag at 12 years old (lucky little shit). I just happened to win the raffle right before the draw results came out. At any rate, it has killed several deer, a couple elk, and a bear. The longest shot on an elk was a cow at 484 yards, and longest on a deer was 444 yards. Both were DRT. I hand load for 160gr SGK’s and have it tuned down a bit. It’s time to crank it up and find a more powerful load for it now that he is older.

It’s a killer cartridge and we both love its versatility. I wouldn’t be afraid to use it on any hunt, but we haven’t pushed it past 500 yards on a live animal.

manitou1

WKR
Both shoot .284 bullets, just like the 7mm Rem mag, 7mm-08, and .284.

The ackley will get you roughly an additional 100 fps over the standard .280 Rem due to a straightened cartridge wall and steeper shoulder. More powder volume.