280 ai vs 6.5 prc

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I know I said earlier in the thread I was going with the 6.5 prc but I really thought about it hard and went with the 280ai instead. Just received the Manners stock in the mail a few days ago and it was the last part I was waiting on for the build so about to get all the parts shipped off, hopefully the rifle will be finished before fall!

tak

WKR
I know I said earlier in the thread I was going with the 6.5 prc but I really thought about it hard and went with the 280ai instead. Just received the Manners stock in the mail a few days ago and it was the last part I was waiting on for the build so about to get all the parts shipped off, hopefully the rifle will be finished before fall!

Man, you'll be happy. I let my 280AI go to build a 7prc and somewhat regret it. 162s will be killer on deer!! I just couldn't get the velocity I wanted with 175/180s, but if you reload and can get a good load with those, there's nothing you can't handle with the bigger stuff.

Okie_Poke

FNG
That’s going to be a sweet rifle. I want a 280 ai myself but just can’t justify adding another rifle in a whole new caliber right now. I don’t think the 6.5 prc would have been a wrong choice, but it just doesn’t have the appeal to me.

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I just keep hearing good thing after good thing about the 280ai from people on RokSlide, other forums, YouTube videos, and podcasts, I don’t thing there’s a single 280ai hater out there! Looking forward to hunting with it this fall and when the rifle is finished I’ll report back with some pics.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
The only real negative someone could argue against the 280 Ackley, is readily available factory available ammo.

I have both, I say I will hunt with this or that, but I invariably always grab the 280 Ackley. It is easy to shoot, extremely accurate and nothing has walked away from it. I went on a crop depredation with the cousins, we were hunting soy bean and wheat fields and I had 7 does on the ground before they could get dialed in on their first. It's getting bigger/better glass this August/September. In the spring if they are issued another permit, I will probably take both and compare them at distance shooting the same bullet, probably Accubonds or Partions, just to try to keep it fair.

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
The only real negative someone could argue against the 280 Ackley, is readily available factory available ammo.

I have both, I say I will hunt with this or that, but I invariably always grab the 280 Ackley. It is easy to shoot, extremely accurate and nothing has walked away from it. I went on a crop depredation with the cousins, we were hunting soy bean and wheat fields and I had 7 does on the ground before they could get dialed in on their first. It's getting bigger/better glass this August/September. In the spring if they are issued another permit, I will probably take both and compare them at distance shooting the same bullet, probably Accubonds or Partions, just to try to keep it fair.
Well at least for me I won’t have any ammo availability issues I have 250 brand new Peterson brass to last the life of the barrel.

austkaine

FNG
Plans are 140gr PartionsAccubonds, 156gr Berger, 140gr VLD-H, or the 140gr Elite Hunter. I also have several 200rd cases of the factory Norma Bondstrike 143gr ammo in bound, it was on sale, free shipping and no taxes and they sent me a coupon for being a first time customer, $1.05 a round, I can't buy the individual components for a $1.05

I also bought several cases of the 180gr Norma Bondstrike 308 Winchester from them as well for the sames money.

K.Fingers crossed the Bondstrike is as accurate as every here has said.
Darryle, mind sharing where you found the $1.05 Norma?

manitou1

WKR
Look up load data (Nosler has a good site) and compare the two: velocity, drop, fpe.

IMO the 280ai eats the 6.5 for lunch. Either will work though.

manitou1

WKR
Good choice.