28 nosler recoil experience

TreGrizz

FNG
I'm in the market for a new rifle in a cartridge that will be effective for elk at 500 yards or so. My requirement is greater than 1500ft lbs and 1800 fps at 500 yards. I narrowed it down to a browning x bolt pro in 28 nosler, 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Finally I decided on 7mm rem mag due to ammo options, and lighter recoil.

That said, as I've been shopping for deals I found an awesome deal on a new xbolt pro in 28 nosler. Marked down from 1800 to 1200. I don't know if I can pass that deal up, however I am concerned about the recoil. I shoot my brother's 300 RUM no problem, but it's a 13 lb monster with a good brake. The xbolt plus my scope and rings bring the rifle to 8 lbs. I can upgrade the brake on it, but it's still going to rattle my teeth pretty good.

I have never had an issue with recoil but I hear about the mythical stoutness of the nosler 28. I need inputs and perspectives please.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7lb 28 and it is no problem with or without the brake.

daymoney

FNG
Stock design/geometry has a lot to do with recoil, but a 28 nosler with a good area 419 sidewinder 4 port brake or the like will kick like a 243 shooting 100gr bullets.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ditch the factory rotary style brakes and throw on a good quality side baffle brake with adjustable top screws. Find a setting that works well for you and your rifle, you’ll be fine!

My Ruger gunsite scout in .308 kicks harder than my CA Ridgeline in .28 Nosler did.

JMDavies

WKR
I've got a Christensen and a custom both in 28. A friend of mine shoots the same Christensen in a 300 RUM and it has much more recoil. Stick with the 28. Also, I've had great luck with the nosler 175gr long range factory ammo. Shoots well out of both guns.

My 28 Nosler is fairly light, has a 3 port side baffle brake and recoil is not noticeable. I am a fan of brakes as long as I don't have to be next to the guy shooting one.