275X - Interstate Unit No. 1

I drew an Oregon Elk tag:
275X - Interstate Unit No. 1. Oregon.
I desperately need a guide. Please make some recommendations.

Never received an email. Never received a tag... just decided to check draw results..
Weird.

There’s almost no elk in that unit and if you’re lucky enough to see them, they’re in the thickest stuff. Good luck.

OP
Short Track
I've been to 20 hunting shows. PA TX. etc
Probably spoken to 100 outfitters and just applied to whatever they told me.

Pdzoller

WKR
Not sure what help anyone is going to give. If someone knows what’s up in that unit they’re probably going to keep it under their hat. Best advice I can give is show up a couple weeks before the hunt and try to get it scouted. Haven’t spent much time around there but the only elk I’ve seen in that unit were on private property.

I've been to 20 hunting shows. PA TX. etc
Probably spoken to 100 outfitters and just applied to whatever they told me.

I just texted an outfitter that spends a ton of time in there trying to help you out. His exact text was-
“Haha why would anyone hunt that unit for elk? I’ve pounded that unit and have only seen elk 2 times. I saw tracks 3 times. And it’s thick as heck where they were.”

I’ve been in that unit and know a lot about Oregon units and it is not a good
Elk unit what so ever. One of the worst in Oregon. Any outfitter will be likely taking you on to make some money, not planning on you killing anything in my opinion. Never know though, they could have just the right private connection. I get it.

I don’t remember if you can forfeit tags in Oregon. I’ve never heard of anyone elk hunting down there. I’d take the consensus here and see if you can back out.

You said you applied where outfitters told you to - what outfitters told you to apply there?

Yeah that hunt is a guaranteed draw with 0 points. The average harvest in that unit over the past 4 years is 3.5 bulls.

You can forfeit the tag and hunt OTC in Oregon. I'm assuming/hoping you applied with 0 points, so nothing to lose there. I don't know if it's worth it to you to fly across the country to hunt OTC, it's not easy hunting. But I don't think I'd go on this Interstate hunt.

Last edited:
OP
Short Track
Yeah that hunt is a guaranteed draw with 0 points. The average harvest in that unit over the past 4 years is 3.5 bulls.
Where did you find out this information? I have been searching around all day, and can't come up with anything..... There are no hunt reports on forums. Can't find an outfitter in that area, nothing.

and yes, it's a big trip from the east coast for a lousy unit. I don't mind dropping money out west, & I do so regularly, but I hate wasting time & money.

If you want to hunt Oregon I can get you setup with a much hunt next year. Or even see if he has any way to accommodate you for a coast hunt this year but pretty sure he’s booked up

OP
Short Track
If you want to hunt Oregon I can get you setup with a much hunt next year. Or even see if he has any way to accommodate you for a coast hunt this year but pretty sure he’s booked up
That would be great. Not flying 6 hours for a 2% unit. It'll be nothing more than an expensive back packing trip with a rifle.

elkliver

WKR
of course they took your money. you applied for your tag and drew it easily. Since no one in their right mind would apply for that tag, its easy to draw. If you paid someone for a tag application service, i would look long and hard at why. Anyone advising folks to apply for that tag is smoking crack.