270wsm eld x or nosler accubond lr

Have a first season rifle tag this year and I’m usually an archery hunter, never shot anything besides coyotes with a rifle (live in IA). Have a 270wsm rifle and narrowing down my ammo, not reloading so just limited to factory load. Haven’t been to this unit before but the people I’m going with haven’t had any shots over 150 yards in the past.

I shot a box of precision hunter 145gr eld x and they shot pretty well but not sold on the ammo, just want I could get ahold of first. Now ordering some ammo with my scheels gift cards and the two I can get from there are the precision hunters or the nosler trophy hunter accubond long range 150 gr. Which one would you go with?

I shoot the accubond and eld x out of my 270wsm. Both shoot great but I prefer the accubond over the eld x. I’ve killed elk, deer, caribou, and oryx with 140 gr accubond.

OP
W
I shoot the accubond and eld x out of my 270wsm. Both shoot great but I prefer the accubond over the eld x. I’ve killed elk, deer, caribou, and oryx with 140 gr accubond.
Scheels only has the 150gr accubond long range, just wondering if this isn’t going to be ideal since I’m not planning on shots over 500, which is what nosler claims the lr is made for

Scottf270

WKR
I don't see any scenario where the 150 ablr wouldn't work. Even though the bullet may be a bit softer it should still penetrate and leave a good wound channel. I don't see any animal hit in the right spot with one ending up anything else but dead.

Rooster46

FNG
Have shot elk with both. Both out of a 7mm mag. 160 grain accubond frontal shot at 80 yards, folded him. 162 grain eldx at 462 also pounded him. Picture of 162 grain eldx below.

Attachments

• IMG_5956.jpeg
    IMG_5956.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 15
Scheels only has the 150gr accubond long range, just wondering if this isn’t going to be ideal since I’m not planning on shots over 500, which is what nosler claims the lr is made for
150 will be just fine. When I first started shooting accubonds the heaviest bullet at the time for a 270wsm was 140. I have quite a few bullets in this weight so that’s what I shoot. If I didn’t have so many then I would shoot the eld x for an off the shelf factory load without hesitation. I absolutely love my wsm.

Sako76

WKR
I would practice beyond 150 yards! I shot one bull elk with a 270 WSM (Sako Tecomate) using Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partitions (regular Partitions, not LR’s) at 300 yards, both bullets were pass throughs.

I was hunting in New Mexico last year and a guy shot a mule deer 3 times at 45 yards using LR’s Accubonds out of a 280 AI and what a mess it made! All shoulder shots!

Robiland

FNG
I have the 270 and a 300 win mag. I shoot ELD-x out of both and love them. I have shot both deer and elk with them. And they shoot great out of both of my rifles. The 270 is a Tikka and the 300's (I have 3) are 2 Browning A-bolts and 1 Remmington LR700.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
ABLR over ELD-X all day, every day. Twice on opening day. ELD-X tends to separate from the jacket with high impact velocities.

Edit: I just saw you're not shooting past 500 yards. A regular 140gr accubond may be a better option due to increased durability and less need for high BC

Last edited:

Byrdman

FNG
Going by what you are looking for(not over 500yds and only those factory rounds) I would use the 150 grain ablr if your rifle likes them. They may be softer than standard Accubond bullets but they are still bonded and the elf-x are a long range standard cup and core bullet so they won’t hold together as well as the ablr will especially at that range. I prefer less meat loss from fragmentation and better penetration.

I have killed around 20 elk with Accubonds. One of them took three steps. The others literally dropped in their tracks.