25x284 info and discussion

Looking for some info and discussion about the 25x284 mostly. I have a shiny new action that’s begging for the Brux barrel I have on order (but won’t see it til after January most likely). The action is a 700 style short action originally intended for a different cartridge. If I had my preference I’d rather it be on a long action but it is what it is for now.

Can I successfully run a 25x284 with 133-135 class bullets with a 2.920 ish bottom mag/short action without the bullet deep in the case? Or should I run it in a bdl configuration? I have no target speed or goal I want to be at for the build at this point just want a solid deer antelope sized game rifle and will plink in the off-season.

Here’s the kicker, I have 100 new alpha 25needmoor brass and Redding bushing dies that I ended up with after a buddy bailed on his 25cm build. Dare I even consider it?? I have a 257 Roberts AI already but it is strictly a hunting gun and doesn’t/won’t get used and abused so I don’t need three 25cal builds.

If anyone has a few pieces of sized brass they are about to trash in 25x284 and don’t mind sending, I’d like to make a couple dummy rounds to see what I can manage in my dbm mags. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
SC

Looking for some info and discussion about the 25x284 mostly. I have a shiny new action that’s begging for the Brux barrel I have on order (but won’t see it til after January most likely). The action is a 700 style short action originally intended for a different cartridge. If I had my preference I’d rather it be on a long action but it is what it is for now.

Can I successfully run a 25x284 with 133-135 class bullets with a 2.920 ish bottom mag/short action without the bullet deep in the case? Or should I run it in a bdl configuration? I have no target speed or goal I want to be at for the build at this point just want a solid deer antelope sized game rifle and will plink in the off-season.

Here’s the kicker, I have 100 new alpha 25needmoor brass and Redding bushing dies that I ended up with after a buddy bailed on his 25cm build. Dare I even consider it?? I have a 257 Roberts AI already but it is strictly a hunting gun and doesn’t/won’t get used and abused so I don’t need three 25cal builds.

If anyone has a few pieces of sized brass they are about to trash in 25x284 and don’t mind sending, I’d like to make a couple dummy rounds to see what I can manage in my dbm mags. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
SC
If you are using a short action I’d just build the creed. It will only be about 100fps slower than the 284. Already having brass and dies will be a huge money saver. Lapua 6.5-284 brass is starting to dry up since they stopped making it. I built a fast twist 25-284 and love it. But if I did it all over I’d probably build a 25creed or 25prc if I had mag bolt.

OP
sierracharlie338
If you are using a short action I’d just build the creed. It will only be about 100fps slower than the 284. Already having brass and dies will be a huge money saver. Lapua 6.5-284 brass is starting to dry up since they stopped making it. I built a fast twist 25-284 and love it. But if I did it all over I’d probably build a 25creed or 25prc if I had mag bolt.
I’m not terribly worried about already having the brass and dies because I wouldn’t mind selling them to upgrade to 284 dies/brass. I may see if I can find some brass today to see how hard it will be to source. Since you already have a 284 and enjoy it, why would you change it if you were to do it over again?

I’m not terribly worried about already having the brass and dies because I wouldn’t mind selling them to upgrade to 284 dies/brass. I may see if I can find some brass today to see how hard it will be to source. Since you already have a 284 and enjoy it, why would you change it if you were to do it over again?
Brass is more available, burning less powder, small primer options, longer barrel life

i think you are cutting it really close on the length restriction in a short action. The one I put together was on a tikka and used the long action 3.34” mags which was a perfect fit for the blackjack reamer and keeping the bullet out of the powder column. That was/is an insanely accurate rifle…but I never quite got the screaming velocity I was hoping for. I sold that complete rifle to my cousin and build another 25 creedmoor instead. Both 26” and using good temp stable powders, they are within 100fps of each other and the creedmoor is easier to shoot/spot impacts unbraked. I think my 25-284 barrel was a just slow one for some reason so YMMV.

Wapiti1

WKR
I am building a 25-284 as well, but on a Howa LA. The Berger 135 I seated to match up the boattail with the neck base measured at 3.2" COAL, give or take, just eyeballing seating depth. All my parts are waiting for the reamer. 7.5 twist barrel.

Jeremy

OP
sierracharlie338
I am building a 25-284 as well, but on a Howa LA. The Berger 135 I seated to match up the boattail with the neck base measured at 3.2" COAL, give or take, just eyeballing seating depth. All my parts are waiting for the reamer. 7.5 twist barrel.

Jeremy
Dam 3.2 ain’t anywhere close to 2.9 lmao!! Well that’s disappointing. Maybe I’ll find a Tikka to build off of later haha

The data that Berger sent me for the 135 has the coal at 2.930
Running them that short would definitely shrink the advantage over a creedmoor case. 25-284 really needs a long or med action, long barrel, slow powder to get a good advantage on the creed. Mine is 24”, in a long action and does 3000fps at top end pressure. I’d expect a 25 creed to get 2850-2900 in a similar length barrel, maybe less in a slow barrel.

Wapiti1

WKR
Dam 3.2 ain’t anywhere close to 2.9 lmao!! Well that’s disappointing. Maybe I’ll find a Tikka to build off of later haha
Here's a rough visual for reference. The 135 Berger is a long slippery looking missile. You could get by shorter, but I wouldn't go shorter than 3.1" in this case. I ordered a no throat reamer, and will throat for 0.010" jump at 3.2" COAL. Should be roughly .14x".

25-284 135 Berger.jpg

OP
sierracharlie338
Here's a rough visual for reference. The 135 Berger is a long slippery looking missile. You could get by shorter, but I wouldn't go shorter than 3.1" in this case. I ordered a no throat reamer, and will throat for 0.010" jump at 3.2" COAL. Should be roughly .14x".

View attachment 625008
Well that definitely settles that. I can’t handicap a cartridge that I want close to full potential out of. Looks like a Tikka build is on the horizon!

amassi

WKR
what is everyone’s opinion on terminal performance with the heavies?

Work spectacularly over 2000 fps, we’ll over 1800.
Can’t see an appreciable wound difference between 6-257-264-7 wounding with heavy for caliber match bullets of like make.
Bergers wound like bergers
Eld- m
Tmk
Et el.
I know some experts that are way more dead critters than I do can, but it’s irrelevant to my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Looks like that will be the route I go for now. But I may have to call it a 25 killmoor because I’m not a fan of the creedmoor moniker lol

If you really wanted to avoid the headstamp you have options
The sst will fit a short action (2.960)
I think a 257 GT would as well if you wanted to have a new reamer drawn up
25 souper (257-308win)
A 257-7mm saw would be a neat cartridge if wto hasn’t done one they might be inclined to
Reach out to Defensive edge about a 25 terminator (this would run near tje 25sst)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk