250 Savage Cow Elk Bullet

SDHNTR

WKR
I mean no offense, but you’ve got the cart out in front of the horse. Do you know which one shoots most accurately in your gun? That’s the one you should use!

I find hunting bullet debates pretty pointless. They all work just fine. Pick the most accurate one, go hunting and put it where it belongs. Then go find something else to worry about.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I mean no offense, but you’ve got the cart out in front of the horse. Do you know which one shoots most accurately in your gun? That’s the one you should use!

I find hunting bullet debates pretty pointless. They all work just fine. Pick the most accurate one, go hunting and put it where it belongs. Then go find something else to worry about.
I don’t get offended.

Out of the 100’s the Pro Hunter is most accurate as I mentioned in post 1. Also mentioned in post 1, is all the 100’s listed in that post shoot with acceptable accuracy (under 1.7 moa at 100, 5 shot groups).

The most accurate loads to date are with a 75gr Vmax and 85gr BT, neither of which I think is suitable for larger animals based on my experience shooting them into animals.

Because different bullets exhibit different characteristics in tissue, I think the discussion absolutely has merit. Not asking if it can kill, that answer is obvious. I am asking for any experience with these type of bullets in this velocity window and the wound channels created.

TaperPin

WKR
Did you recover the elk? I’m curious if you saw a lack of expansion.

I think a 243 with a short barrel or shot at a little distance would be a good analog for evaluating these bullet types.

I forgot I also have some Hornady Interlock 100 gr.

There is also of course the 87gr bullets: Hot Core, Pro Hunter, Varmiter (Hornady) which would be like when the 250 first came out… also the 90gr Blitzking.
The elk was shot off a hay stack surrounded by sagebrush so it was easy to find, but that’s a long way. The bullet hole appeared like it opened up normally and passed through, and it would have killed a mule deer faster, but it just wasn’t a big hole for an adult elk. That little bullet has a great track record on deer and antelope.

One of the old timer elk hunters in my circle has a pile of 6 point elk, including a 378 over the fireplace - all killed with a 257 Roberts and factory Winchester ammo - I think 117 gr is what they’ve traditionally loaded. He waits for a broadside shot and none of his elk have gone far.

I imagine there must be a 100 gr bullet that has worked well for folks.

I think the tried and true partition would be your best bet in this case. Doesn’t need to be fancy, just needs to work and it does!

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I just did some pressure/velocity testing with the 100gr Hornady Interlock. I forgot I had a few boxes of those… and I’m impressed. Using Leverevolution, I hit 2840fps before velocity starting to drop with increased charges, so that’s my max load. Pressures looked fine, which indicates this powder is a little slow, but still. If the accuracy is there, I think this would be it.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.png
    IMG_2089.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 2