250 Savage AI or 25 Creedmoor?

jfjohn77

FNG
I'm looking for some real world experience on these two options. I have been in the process of putting together a 250 Savage AI for a while. I have been collecting brass for some time and have close to 600 pieces, I have the dies and a barrel blank. Now that the 25 Creed has available brass being manufactured, I'm curious if there would be any advantage to maybe going that route? The case capacities are so close it is a mute point. I reload for everything I shoot, so that isn't an issue. Fireforming is not an issue for me, so that is not a deal breaker. I'm mainly concerned with the ballistics of the two cartridges... If one has any real advantage.

Having both a 257RobAI and a 25creed I’ll give you this advice. Since you already have all the stuff for the AI that’s a big step that would sway most people. The question is how you feel about fireforming? I enjoyed the process of it but it was time and money consuming which I didn’t mind at the time. However if you want the easy button in this case, then go Creed. Buy components, load then shoot small groups with the creed. I think you will be happy either way with performance but the road to get there will be vastly different. If I didn’t have the AI as a family piece that won’t ever be sold, I’d just shoot the creed.

ETA: are you planning on running a fast twist in the AI because if you aren’t the creed will win in the performance category.

Last edited:

nrspence

FNG
The easy button is the 25 creed; great brass available, and as much support as you can get with a wildcat. I thought hard about the 250 AI awhile ago, and decided to the go the easy route. I also shoot a 6.5x55 AI that I love. If you are planning on shooting enough to become proficient with a chosen cartrige having good brass available is a must in my opinion.

OP
jfjohn77

jfjohn77

FNG
Having both a 257RobAI and a 25creed I’ll give you this advice. Since you already have all the stuff for the AI that’s a big step that would sway most people. The question is how you feel about fireforming? I enjoyed the process of it but it was time and money consuming which I didn’t mind at the time. However if you want the easy button in this case, then go Creed. Buy components, load then shoot small groups with the creed. I think you will be happy either way with performance but the road to get there will be vastly different. If I didn’t have the AI as a family piece that won’t ever be sold, I’d just shoot the creed.

ETA: are you planning on running a fast twist in the AI because if you aren’t the creed will win in the performance category.
I have a 1:9 twist blank.

nrspence

FNG
So you won’t be able to use the high BC new 25 cal bullets. 115 VLD’s should work for your needs.

OP
jfjohn77

jfjohn77

FNG
The 25 Creedmoor was a copy of the “2Fity-Hillbilly” that was a wildcat back in 2017. I have always wanted a 250 Savage for some unexplained reason. I have two different rifles in 257 Roberts. I only posed the question to find out if there was some "Magic" to the 25 Creed by comparison that I was not aware of. I have nothing at all against the Creedmoor cartridges... I have a 22 Creed and three 6.5 Creeds.

Attachments

• 2Fity.PNG
    2Fity.PNG
    109 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The 25 Creedmoor was a copy of the “2Fity-Hillbilly” the was a wildcat back in 2017. I have always wanted a 250 Savage for some unexplained reason. I have two different rifles in 257 Roberts. I only posed the question to find out if there was some "Magic" to the 25 Creed by comparison that I was not aware of. I have nothing at all against the Creedmoor cartridges... I have a 22 Creed and three 6.5 Creeds.
Sounds like you have your answer then. Build the savage. Only way you would be shorting yourself is with a fast twist barrel in the creed to shoot heavies in contrast to an 9 twist savage imo.

The 25 Creedmoor was a copy of the “2Fity-Hillbilly” the was a wildcat back in 2017. I have always wanted a 250 Savage for some unexplained reason. I have two different rifles in 257 Roberts. I only posed the question to find out if there was some "Magic" to the 25 Creed by comparison that I was not aware of. I have nothing at all against the Creedmoor cartridges... I have a 22 Creed and three 6.5 Creeds.
The “magic” is the high BC 130 class bullets and headstamp brass/dies.

Wildcats are fun, enjoy 👍🏻

wyosam

WKR
You’ve already got enough brass to last the life of the barrel, so brass availability is a non issue, already have supplies, fireforming is just shooting your rifle. No question in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
The “magic” is the high BC 130 class bullets and headstamp brass/dies.
This.

Because you already have components and a barrel that won't take advantage of heavies, it would be counterintuitive to invest in the change.

But if you were to decide to go the optimized 25 cal route and get a 1:7 twist, I absolutely kick myself in the butt for going 25 creed instead of 25-284 and leaving that extra meat on the bone.

Ive been considering the 25 creedmoor also. It is basically a 250 savage AI, but with the option of factory brass. I also like that is something different.

wyosam

WKR
This.

Because you already have components and a barrel that won't take advantage of heavies, it would be counterintuitive to invest in the change.

But if you were to decide to go the optimized 25 cal route and get a 1:7 twist, I absolutely kick myself in the butt for going 25 creed instead of 25-284 and leaving that extra meat on the bone.

25-284 is my next barrel I think. I like the 284 case, use it in both 6.5 and 338. My 6.5 is a heavy target barrel. Think I’ll build a 25 in a light 7 twist for sheep. I’ve got a M7 9:1 257rob improved, but want something in a 257 for my tikkas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

That’s funny because I had both 25 creed and 25-284, for that barrel I was only 100fps faster than my creedmoor at the same length so the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. 25 creedmoor has been all I need, although I shoot 26” barrels with no muzzle device.