.243 Nosler Load Data

Does anyone have an older Nosler manual, from about the 2008-2010 years? I'm trying to find out how my dad and I got such a "hot" load. Little background, I finally got back into reloading since I was able to make space and get my press and everything set up. My family and I were at my parents for Easter, and I had asked if I could snag all of the .357 stuff from him since he didn't have one anymore, and I do. Well after loading up on a gigantic box of loading supplies, and going through them at home, I found a box of .243 that I had loaded back in the day with the data written on the outside.

Back around the timeline I'm looking for, my dad and I bought some Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips so that I could load up some varmint rounds. From what I remember from when we got them, we were at our local sporting goods store. I grabbed the bullets, we looked through the stores current copy of the Nosler manual, and literally picked their most accurate tested powder, and went in the middle of the load data, 51 grains of H414. Well after finding that, and then cross checking it against the latest data off of Noslers website, I'm finding that those loads were 3 grains over max!

Did they change data? Did they figure out their previous data was way too hot? I would love to know, but unfortunately all my friends around here that load don't have that era manual, and the old Nosler manual that my dad has is predated and doesn't even list H414 as a powder they had tested for 55gr. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Mikey_B79

FNG
Yup, this is from the fifth edition in 2003, much hotter than the current loads.

Attachments

• PXL_20240412_022722612.jpg
    PXL_20240412_022722612.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 33
OP
M
Yup, this is from the fifth edition in 2003, much hotter than the current loads.
Yes, thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy, ha ha. For whatever reason they changed it. Wanted to make sure, but from what I remember with this rifle, that load I had shot damn good.

Byrdman

FNG
I to have noticed that from my own 55 Gr 243 loads with h414. The new data is different than back then. They definitely shoot very well in my tc venture as well. Can’t remember off hand how many grains I was using. I just know I was pushing around 3800fps I only have a little h414 left now. I’m going to have to switch to win760 since it is supposed to be identical to h414 now that h414 is no longer sold. Otherwise I will try h4895 if I can’t get win 760. I know the old data makes it look like h414 and win 760 are not the same but hodgons new data and research online shows they are the same.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I had this happen to me just a couple years ago with Hodgdon load data, I was still learning and wouldn't exceed book max so I came up with my load and away I went. Later on someone asked about my load being hot and based on their load data, they changed it and I was 2gr over book. There is definitely some variance in component lots, and their pressure and test barrels.