.243 for ca mule deer

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I’ll be ready with the follow up shot just in case lol

nubbin

FNG
You’ll be fine, I’ve killed a few whitetail and a 200lb hog with a .243. I wouldn’t expect 7mag results out of it, but you place a .243 bullet where it belongs and they die in very short order. That’s been my experience anyway.

You’ll be fine. There are people out there who have killed a dozen elk with a dozen shots from a .243. Just use a good bullet and put it in the right spot. The key is to know the maximum range at which you can take a particular shot in the specific set of conditions and count on placing the bullet properly and having it perform properly.

I think your current ammo choice will work just fine. Just don’t take a shot beyond the point where the impact velocity is high enough to ensure reliable performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntsd

WKR
Typically I use a 7mm rem mag or a .308 but have never shot a deer with my .243 yet. I want to hunt with it this year. I feel like it should be good for 300 yards and in but not sure if it’s any good for any further. I’m using a 90gr nosler e tip. (Thanks Cali for the non lead ammo)

I hunt high where there is typically wind and that’s what makes me nervous about a small caliber lighter weight bullet.
Is there significant weight savings with your 243? I personally would rather be on the "overkill side" with a 7 mag than the "underkill" with a 243.

California mule deer are the size of a Great Dane maybe 25# larger … I would feel comfortable killing one with a .22 .

I’ll be slaying them this year with my wife’s 6cm … my dad will use my wife’s 6cm. My 6.5 seems to be overkill … they never leave the bed or they make it 20’ and die.

I don’t like wasted meat that my dogs love to eat .

Taudisio

WKR
California mule deer are the size of a Great Dane maybe 25# larger … I would feel comfortable killing one with a .22 .

I’ll be slaying them this year with my wife’s 6cm … my dad will use my wife’s 6cm. My 6.5 seems to be overkill … they never leave the bed or they make it 20’ and die.

Some of the largest bodied recorded mule deer have come from NE California……

If your talking about the desert muleys, or blacktail crossed deer, sure. But it is a large state and there are some big bodied bruisers there too.

mike257

FNG
Shot quite a few heads of game with the e tip,, found them to just be deadly, although a perfect shot through the lungs generally leaves massive hemorraging , they usually stay on their feet for a little ways. Started shooting them on the point of the shoulder, and it's like a lightning bolt. Picked up some 69 hr absolute hammers and have got them to 3700 out of a 26in 243, will see what they do this fall.

Some of the largest bodied recorded mule deer have come from NE California……

If your talking about the desert muleys, or blacktail crossed deer, sure. But it is a large state and there are some big bodied bruisers there too.
Post up a pic of your big bodied bruiser you get this year in NE California …

z987k

WKR
Typically I use a 7mm rem mag or a .308 but have never shot a deer with my .243 yet. I want to hunt with it this year. I feel like it should be good for 300 yards and in but not sure if it’s any good for any further. I’m using a 90gr nosler e tip. (Thanks Cali for the non lead ammo)

I hunt high where there is typically wind and that’s what makes me nervous about a small caliber lighter weight bullet.
Bullet diameter has nothing to do whatsoever with wind drift. Neither does weight. MV and BC are the only two things(you can control) that matter with wind. Given the same shape and material, a 110gr 243 has a lot less wind drift than a 150gr 308.
In reality, the only thing that actually matters is Time of flight. Which is decided by the MV, BC and distance.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Is there significant weight savings with your 243? I personally would rather be on the "overkill side" with a 7 mag than the "underkill" with a 243.
It’s mostly a just “I want to kill with the .243”

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider

This is laughable

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Shot quite a few heads of game with the e tip,, found them to just be deadly, although a perfect shot through the lungs generally leaves massive hemorraging , they usually stay on their feet for a little ways. Started shooting them on the point of the shoulder, and it's like a lightning bolt. Picked up some 69 hr absolute hammers and have got them to 3700 out of a 26in 243, will see what they do this fall.
Have shot a few squirrels with them messing around but haven’t shot any big game with it yet. When I start reloading a guy told me to switch to hammer bullets and not to ever look back

I live in Alberta. When we moved here my Dad decided it was time for a new rifle, so he bought a Remington 700 .243. His other gun was a .300 Win mag. He was 46 years old and just turned 81 last fall. I watched him drop at least 20 or so Mulies and W.T. with that .243. He used mostly Hornady Interlocks or Nosler Ballistic tips in 95 or 100 grain ,handloaded with one of his buddies. .243 will do what you need no problem.

I have i have killed over half a dozen bucks in CA with 90gn E-Tips from a .243, it definately works. All shots were 50-400yds. Although these days I would lean towards a different bullet like a Barnes LRX because it is a little softer. There are a ton of all copper options out there if you reload.