243 for Antelope

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 243 for antelope, 2021 out group killed 7 that week all shooting 6.5s, I would suggest shooting at distance so you are prepared. We shot them between 90 and 460 yards. Once they are hit they don't send to have much will to live. I was surprised at joe easy they die.

EdP

WKR
The 6mm Rem is almost a twin to the .243. I used the 100 gr Sierra Gameking. First at 402 yds, second at 500 yds. They are perfect for pronghorn.

I have a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless chambered in .243. Anyone have experience with Antelope hunting with a .243. I love my Tikka and will be purchasing another Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in 300WSM for larger game and longer shots like Elk, Sheep, and Black Bears. I put in for the ANtelope draw in Wyoming this year. Hopes are high to draw as my draw odds are pretty high in the unit I applied in.

I shoot Federal 100gr Soft Points as my Tikka is somewhat temperamental with ammo. Any info is appreciated.
I shot one last sept with my .243 worked fine!

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
363 yards 95gr .243 folded him up really quick.. I’d say if you are familiar with the rifle and comfortable stretching it out to 500, don’t hesitate

pirogue

WKR
Wyoming holds our application money long enough. I’m not giving them money in January for a May 31 pronghorn deadline

ElGreco

FNG
im using the 6.5 PRC im having built. Hopefilly its ready so i can get it ready asap

jeffpg

WKR
As stated above, the 243 is well suited to killing pronghorn. It doesn't take much to put them down.

The only problem I find is that due to the nature of the hunt, you are usually dealing with distance and wind; 2 things that the 243 isn't extremely fond of. That's why the 6.5 PRC is a better choice, along with a few others that are definitely more powerful than needed; except when there's distance and wind involved.

243 would be fine for antelope. These critters are thin skinned and doesn't take much to put them down for the count. I normally hunt them with my Tikka 270 but if I owned a 6.5 CM that's the caliber I would take to the dance.
My friend hunts them with 243 shot placement is all that matters! That’s with everything though people get hung up on caliber to much

243 works just fine. However, with some of the tags getting so hard to get or taking so many points, I generally prefer to take something a little bigger especially in states where wind can become an issue. This year I’m taking my new 7prc to New Mexico, yes it’s probably much more gun than needed but what can I say, I’m an overgrown kid that wants to play with his new toy and they can’t be too dead.

2ski

WKR
Just out of curiosity what do you hunt with your 243 already? Yiu bought it for a reason. Im assuming to hunt deer? I mean the smallest big game animal is a pronghorn so if you've used it to hunt at all I'm not sure why you're questioning. I've shot every antelope with my 243. Even though I have some larger caliber rifles all I'll ever hunt speed goats with is my 243.

243 would be perfect antelope cartridge, if they didn’t come with a 10 twist. Still great, just don’t play as nice with the wind. Could probably do pretty decent with Berger 95 classic hunter or 87 gr vld loads.

Last edited: