22LR - Long range training

Sodbuster

WKR
I just went deeper down the rabbit hole and bought a labradar. Hoping I can get some velocity readings to 100 yards to help get some better ballistic data.

I had a pile of Cabela’s points to burn so it was easy to swallow the $600 on a chrono!!!

I was just going to ask if you had found a deal on the Labradar. Points makes it a little easier.

dkime

WKR
My Kidd build is in love with RWS R100 and Tenex, I’ve had good luck with SK Pistol Match and Lapua Pistol Match as well. The best value for me has come from a few 4$ boxes of Eley Hunting Hollow points. These groups were RWS and Tenex at 50yds using the other bullet hole as a point of aim. I plan on stretching this setup out to 200 sometime when the weather cooperates
22413b1cba9417dd69e7afdb35ce35e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
As damn nice as the Vudoos are, what's the consensus on the Ruger precision rimfire for this sort of thing? Are there increased cant scope bases available for it?

Got half a mind to combine this, a 12x SWFA and whatever bargain rings I can find in the near future.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
As damn nice as the Vudoos are, what's the consensus on the Ruger precision rimfire for this sort of thing? Are there increased cant scope bases available for it?

Got half a mind to combine this, a 12x SWFA and whatever bargain rings I can find in the near future.

So far I like mine, it comes with a 30moa rail on it and I have no issue shooting out to 300, just need to fine tune it. The factory barrel does produce random fliers, I’mupgrading to the green mountain match barrel.

I would say it’s ok, it will not produce the groups Broz is getting out of a vudoo but it is super accurate at 50 yards and so far I haven’t found the perfect ammo at 100 yards and out, the CCI SV does really well out of it to where I can hit a 16” gong 100% of the time at 300 and an 8” gong maybe 40%, depends on wind and the shooter. I think I’ll be able to shrink the groups down.

The GM match barrel is pretty inexpensive at less then $200 shipped and the barrel is easy to change out.

In my view for the price it is worth it.

I’ve had two scopes on mine, a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 and an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50, both had plenty of adjustment in them to dial out to 300 off the factory rail, I have the Athlon on it currently and will see what my max range will be for dialing but I know it’ll be further then I can shoot accurately, for now.

forget 'bargain rings'. get a set of Burris XTR sig's with the inserts. You can add up to 40 moa by just using the inserts.....

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Ok still learning and after watching videos and hearing people say their rifles shoot MOA or sub MOA my question is, for a 22LR is your starting point to measure 50 yards or 100 yards? Seems like most on you tube start at 50 yards, if so why not 100?

I’m getting .5moa groups at 50 but they open up at 100 to over 1”. Now I wouldn’t consider my gun sub MOA since at 100 it’s grouping over 1”. This is with the factory barrel.

Broz

WKR
Ok still learning and after watching videos and hearing people say their rifles shoot MOA or sub MOA my question is, for a 22LR is your starting point to measure 50 yards or 100 yards? Seems like most on you tube start at 50 yards, if so why not 100?

I’m getting .5moa groups at 50 but they open up at 100 to over 1”. Now I wouldn’t consider my gun sub MOA since at 100 it’s grouping over 1”. This is with the factory barrel.

I zero at 50 yards because it is usually one ragged hole. At 100 yards it will be a .75 to 1 moa group and include environmental corrections that are only good the day and place we shoot it. So if you change temp and altitude the zero may be off. Same reason I prefer zeroing my center fires at 100, to remove as much environmental effects as possible.
crop.jpg

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I zero at 50 yards because it is usually one ragged hole. At 100 yards it will be a .75 to 1 moa group and include environmental corrections that are only good the day and place we shoot it. So if you change temp and altitude the zero may be off. Same reason I prefer zeroing my center fires at 100, to remove as much environmental effects as possible.
View attachment 95531

Thanks, exactly what I’m seeing I just wasn’t sure if people are applying center fire logic to the MOA determination. Makes perfect sense at 50 yards as groupings are very good at this distance.

Alright now to break in the new barrel and see if it’s any better at controlling flyers.

Broz

WKR
If you look at the dial ups to 100 yards, from a 50 yd zero, it should be about 6 moa. We can compare that to a center fire rifle dial up as a 500 yard shot as they contain similar dial ups. That is the thing with 22 LR and ELR shooting, we need to compare to realize just how far the shot is in relation to what we know about big center fires. Example: A 500 yard shot with a 22 LR rig requires roughly 100 moa dial up. When I dial my 375 ELR rig up 100 moa I will be reaching just over 2800 yards. So when you hit the target at 500, with your 22, realize it was no small task. This also shines light on the need to sharpen skills for wind reading, and how the 22 can help us, as well as show us why Extreme velocity spread in a 22 is the hurdle we have to conquer.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
So far I like mine, it comes with a 30moa rail on it and I have no issue shooting out to 300, just need to fine tune it. The factory barrel does produce random fliers, I’mupgrading to the green mountain match barrel.

I would say it’s ok, it will not produce the groups Broz is getting out of a vudoo but it is super accurate at 50 yards and so far I haven’t found the perfect ammo at 100 yards and out, the CCI SV does really well out of it to where I can hit a 16” gong 100% of the time at 300 and an 8” gong maybe 40%, depends on wind and the shooter. I think I’ll be able to shrink the groups down.

The GM match barrel is pretty inexpensive at less then $200 shipped and the barrel is easy to change out.

In my view for the price it is worth it.

I’ve had two scopes on mine, a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 and an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50, both had plenty of adjustment in them to dial out to 300 off the factory rail, I have the Athlon on it currently and will see what my max range will be for dialing but I know it’ll be further then I can shoot accurately, for now.

Did notice that Shaw and GM are making very reasonably priced barrels, happy to see that.

I do like the American Rimfire Target models, too, but I doubt they'll ever have the aftermarket support the RPR will.