223 vs 22CM

Toomuchon

FNG
If it were me and you could only keep one. 6.5 creed. But then again I would definitely keep both haha
Interested in your reasoning for 6.5 over 22 cm and .223.
My 6.5 tikka loves the 140gr Hornady match ammo, so much that I haven’t bothered to load for it. But, by all accounts the .22 cm is a demon- lower drift, lower recoil and takes 1800 fps beyond 800yds!

Matt5266

WKR
Interested in your reasoning for 6.5 over 22 cm and .223.
My 6.5 tikka loves the 140gr Hornady match ammo, so much that I haven’t bothered to load for it. But, by all accounts the .22 cm is a demon- lower drift, lower recoil and takes 1800 fps beyond 800yds!
Personal preference mostly I guess. I have alot of components for 6.5 creed. It has a way better barrel life. I wouldn't get rid of my 6.5 for the 22. As I said I'd keep the 6.5 and .223 that would cover 99% of what I do.

SouthPaw

WKR
Dragging this thread back up, as I’m going through a bit of a dilemma…..
I want to consolidate down to one medium game rifle (yeah sounds ridiculous I know).
I have 2 T3x one in 223 and another in 6.5cm. Where I am here in New Zealand we can hunt Wapiti, Red stag (between elk and mule deer in size) chamois, himalayan tahr, pigs, fallow deer and sika deer. New Zealand can be a windy place, and quite mountainous so long shots can be fairly common - as far as you want to shoot really.
The question is, should I either; 1. keep the 223 and move on the 6.5. 2. Keep the 6.5 and move on the 223. Or 3. Rebarrel the 6.5 to 22cm and sell the 223?
From what I read, the 22cm could be a great ‘one rifle do it all’ setup.
As someone who shoots three tikka rifles chambered in 223 / 22cm / and 6.5cm, I'll ask:

Is 22cal allowed for all big game in NZ, and do you plan to shoot/practice often with your single rifle and keep the barrel for a long time? If so, .223 is probably the answer. Load 80g ELDMs with the Waters Mag and enjoy 0-600yd killing.

If you can swing keeping two rifles, having a 223 for bulk practice and a 22cm optimized for the 88g ELDM is a phenomenal combo. If you just want 1 rifle and don't mind swapping barrels often, that 88 at 3200fps is pretty ridiculous for efficient shooting/killing with minimal recoil.

The right answer is to have all three. :)

Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
As someone who shoots three tikka rifles heavily, chambered in 223 / 22cm / and 6.5cm, I'll ask:

Is 22cal allowed for all big game in NZ, and do you plan to shoot/practice often with your single rifle and keep the barrel for a long time? If so, .223 is probably the answer. Load 80g ELDMs with the Waters Mag and enjoy 0-600yd killing.

If you can swing keeping two rifles, having a 223 for bulk practice and a 22cm optimized for the 88g ELDM is a phenomenal combo. If you just want 1 rifle and don't mind swapping barrels often, that 88 at 3200fps is pretty ridiculous for efficient shooting/killing with minimal recoil.

The right answer is to have all three. :)
As someone who also shoots a few tikkas, but in 223, 22cm, 6cm, and 6.5cm, I would also keep the 223 and 22cm if I were forced to only keep two!

Toomuchon

FNG
Yeah .224 centrefires are legal over here, so no drama there.
Well I guess the resounding message is I need to have two….. The trouble is, I need to put a new scope on the 6.5 and it’s getting hard to justify the cost of an appropriate scope for it. We have one Nightforce dealer here, and they seem to have a healthy markup on them. An NX8 cost the equivalent of $2800 USD here, can’t get SWFA, and my next choice is a Maven RS1.2 at about $1800 USD. It all starts to add up quickly, and I think I’d rather put it into hunting trips and gear that keeps me warm and dry.