.223 trainer

RussDXT

WKR
So if someone already has several accurate suppressed AR’s in 5.56 is there any large benefit to adding a Tikka .223 other than to be one of the cool kids at rockslide?

Thanks!

Some of the reasons I prefer a 223 bolt gun:
-Actually quiet when suppressed
-Prefer the general gun manipulation - aligns with my other hunting and precision rifles
-Can shoot higher BC bullets without the AR mag constraints
-Doesn't trash brass

I've tried but i cant get too excited about shooting ARs in precision applications.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
Some of the reasons I prefer a 223 bolt gun:
-Actually quiet when suppressed
-Prefer the general gun manipulation - aligns with my other hunting and precision rifles
-Can shoot higher BC bullets without the AR mag constraints
-Doesn't trash brass

I've tried but i cant get too excited about shooting ARs in precision applications.

If I had it to do over I’d go bolt, but with a PWS, LaRue, and LMT I figure I should attempt to utilize what I have.

I should say i've kind of tried.. Have had as nice of ARs as you do. Maybe something that runs a little smoother or is tuned up better would be a better experience.

A guy can get a tikka compact 223 for sub $700 last i looked, maybe even sub $600 with recent rebates. So that is pretty hard to skip over.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I should say i've kind of tried.. Have had as nice of ARs as you do. Maybe something that runs a little smoother or is tuned up better would be a better experience.

A guy can get a tikka compact 223 for sub $700 last i looked, maybe even sub $600 with recent rebates. So that is pretty hard to skip over.

For sure, Can’t hardly give an AR away in the current market and reluctant to add another .223 if there isn’t a huge benefit.

TxLite

WKR
I prefer bolt actions in general. But any trigger time is good practice and there’s nothing wrong with shooting what you’ve got. As mentioned above you’ll be more limited on your COAL for high BC bullets.

I hate getting gassed out with a suppressed AR but the piston guns are a much better experience than a standard DI. In my experience they are not typically going to be as accurate as DI or a bolt gun though.

SloppyJ

WKR
As a guy who just built a 223 trainer, a bolt gun shoots so much better than an AR. Now, I'm not a huge fan of shooting ARs though. If for nothing else, it's more similar to your hunting rifles more than likely so it should be better to train with. The number one deal is that it suppresses so well.

TaperPin

WKR
We put together an AR from misc sources and a no-name barrel - it is capable of shooting as well as many factory bolt guns, but the milspec trigger is horrible. One of the kids had a friend recommend some POS replacement trigger - waste of money. I’d rather use a sharp stick than shoot an AR with schitt trigger. :)

ElPollo

WKR
I have an AR and a Tikka in 223. My AR isn’t nearly as nice or likely as accurate as the ones you mentioned. But my suppressed Tikka is hands down the most fun rifle I have.