.223 load development for varmint

First post here on the Rok so please be gentle. I've got a Remington varmint synthetic 1:12 twist .223 and I would like to work up some loads that will be both accurate and effective on prairie dog sized critters out to about 400 yards. Up to this point, I have relied on factory loadings from Federal, Rem, Black Hills, Norinco, etc. along with some feeble attempts of creating my own recipes. I've never really put much effort into creating a good load for this specific rifle because I also used the same ammo in my mini-14 and AR with sub-par accuracy. I've grown out of the spray and pray style of burning up ammo and would like to create some loads that are more consistent for this one rifle. I'm not married to any particular manufacturers or brands, and I'm looking for suggestions of where to start. I do realize that each firearm is unique so one person's loads may not be the perfect match for another rifle off the same production line.

I've read that the slower twist barrels tend to like the lower grain bullets and that the Hornady 53gr Vmax is one of the best out there for BC and terminal performance. A lot of the examples of loads I've found are being used in 1:9 or faster twist barrels, and are being loaded with heavier projectiles. Does anyone have any suggestions for a varmint load that is accurate and performs well out of a slower twist barrel?

Thank you in advance

I have a 14 twist Sako and load W748 under whatever flavor of 50 grain bullet I have on hand. I like the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip best, but I’m shooting coyotes. 53 vmax and 50 grain sierra/Hornady SP work plenty well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JimmyJames
Thank you for the info. I've had really good luck with the Nosler Partitions when loading for my 7mm-08. They make really good bullets. I picked up a box of 53 vmax and I think I'll look for some 50gr ballistic tips as well. I'd like to keep as high a BC as possible to help with drift, but I'm also not trying to shoot 1000 yards so maybe it doesn't matter anyway.

OP
JimmyJames
Thank you for the information. From my experience, 55gr and heavier don't perform very well in my 1:12 twist. They'll shoot, but the consistency I'm looking for isn't there. I haven't tried in sub 50gr bullets, but maybe I should give them a chance. What I'd like to try and avoid is reinventing the wheel. If someone already has a similar setup and has found a load that performs it gives me a big head-start into development and maybe I only have to tweak it a little.

OP
JimmyJames
Sccritterkiller, I've heard really good things about varget, but I've also heard that it doesn't come cheap. I use aa2200 in my loading for my 6.8. Great consistency and with the Accubond 110 it is lights out on whitetails.

Varget and a Hornady VMax or Nosler Ballistic Tip will do great. I like the 50 grain Vmax a lot, and in the Ballistic Tips I've loved the 40, 50, and 55 grainers.

And I ran all of them out of a 14" twist.

OP
JimmyJames
That's great information. It seems like most of the load data I've seen shows an increase in accuracy with increased velocity. Have you experienced that with your load development?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
That's great information. It seems like most of the load data I've seen shows an increase in accuracy with increased velocity. Have you experienced that with your load development?
That's not always true, sometimes the 22 cals shoot great ripping fast, sometimes they don't. My 22-250 1:14 twist starts to get wild if I throw the powder to it, but a middle of the road charge of the first powder I tried will plaster a dot out with 50-55gr Vmax or ballistic tips.

OP
JimmyJames
Harvey_nw, I probably should have said "some" of the load data I've looked at shows tighter groups resulting from higher velocities - up to a point and then it seems to degrade. Or the rifle blows up. Either one is not advisable.

Buy a bunch of this stuff at $0.60 a round and do something more enjoyable than spending your time at the loading bench.

With current component prices bullet, primer, powder for one of these rounds is about $0.45. Wouldn't be hard to say brass is the final $0.15. And you get quality component brass as a benefit of having shot the factory stuff without wasting time at the bench.

Sccritterkiller, I've heard really good things about varget, but I've also heard that it doesn't come cheap. I use aa2200 in my loading for my 6.8. Great consistency and with the Accubond 110 it is lights out on whitetails.
Yep. I use it with my 6.8 hog load, under 120gr SST, seems to be the most economical option. Figured I try some with my 556 yote load, works pretty well.

OP
JimmyJames
Wind gypsy, when it's -20, this gives me something to do besides watching Gilligan's Island re-runs... I hear you about the time vs money ratio though. I already have all the brass I could possibly need for feeding a bolt action, I bought a mess of primers when they were stupid cheap, and have a pretty good assortment of powder so what I'm lacking is projectiles. That, and I'm a puzzle guy so it's fun figuring out what does or doesn't work for my rifle. I'm also introducing junior to the world of reloading so it's quality time spent with him.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend H335 for a powder. It meters perfectly and even with a cheapy powder thrower will throw charges within .2 gr. All of my .223 rifles are older bolt guns that have a similar twist. 50-52 gr seem to work the best. I've used the Nosler ballistic tips and Hornady Vmax for many years. They both work great on prairie dogs and most any other varmint. I have always found the rifles to shoot best with 24.5 gr of H335 for either weight bullet.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 1:12 Browning X Bolt 223 that shot 40 gr Nosler Varmageddons and Benchmark powder very well. For .223, I tend to load either varget and benchmark.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I would go 40-53 grains on the 1:12 twist. 223 is notoriously finicky on twist rates and bullet weights. I did quite a bit of research on powders, primers, bullets, bullet weights, etc with consideration given to my rifles twist rate.

My 1:9 twist Savage 26" prairie dog/coyote/little critter gun really likes mild loads. I use a 60 gr V-Max, 22.0gr H335, CCI 450 Mag primers, and winchester cases. If the nut behind the stock is doing its job, it will shoot 5 shots into effectively the same hole at 100yds.

I lean heavily into V-Max bullets because I can typically find them cheaper than Noslers and similar ballistic tips and have never let me down in performance.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Waspocrew that is some good info. Were you getting pretty good accuracy with the 40gr Noslers?

Definitely! Groups with that combo were easily covered with a dime at 100 yards. At 400 yards, I could keep shots within a 3x5 notecard.

- 40 Grain Varmageddon
- 28.0 Gr. Benchmark (Near max and slightly compressed - please work up)
- PMC brass
- Fed. Sm. Rifle Primer
- Base to Ogive: 1.8635"

OP
JimmyJames
Tstith, great info. Before I started into load development I seriously considered putting on a new barrel with a faster twist. It seems like there are more options out there for better performing bullets in higher grain offerings. With all the great info I'm getting from this thread I think I'll hold out with the barrel swap and see what works best. It also might give me a reason to pick up another varmint rig with a faster twist barrel. In the name of science of course..