.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just actually realized this thread has moose in the title. Has anyone actually killed a moose with .223? Too many pages to re-read. :ROFLMAO:
Fall of ‘22 I broke both shoulders of an immature bull (2 point) with a 223AI and an 88 ELD m.
Fall of ‘23 I smashed the shoulder knuckle and got a couple feet of penetration after that on a mature bull (tripalm/10 point) with the same rifle/bullet combo.

The 2 point was WHOPPPPP/flop and down out of side in the rose bushes. The 10 pt was WHOPPPPP/hop hop hop/flop.
I run a bolt gun pretty fast on the reloads regardless of chambering, and the first one I didn’t have enough time to shoot twice. The big one got a second round but only because I didn’t lose him in the sight picture from recoil and the second shot hit him as he was falling over sideways.

JD Jones

WKR
Couple of 223 victims from 2023. This thread got be thinking last year so naturally I had to experiment on the ranch. 18” shooting the 75gr ELDM. Both shot between 100-125 yards. Big boar went 339# before the scale decided it wasn’t going to register. First pig I couldn’t lift into the side by side with another grown man. He fell where he stood. My boy shot the other guy a month or so later. took off maybe 30yards where he expired …wedged in a mesquite

IMG_5467.jpegIMG_4169.jpeg

sturner88

FNG
At risk of them instantly being sold out, would a 1:9 twist Steyr Pro Hunter 2 be an adequate twist rate for the 77TMK? They are on clearance right now.

At risk of them instantly being sold out, would a 1:9 twist Steyr Pro Hunter 2 be an adequate twist rate for the 77TMK? They are on clearance right now.
There is a guy in this thread that is shooting them out of a 1:9 but generally 1:8 is the minimum. If you already had a 1:9 and wanted to try them I’d say go for it but I don’t think I would buy a rifle knowing it has the slower twist rate. Ymmv