.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I've tested several different bullets in my 223 rifles. I've settled on the 62gr Gold Dot as my go to deer bullets. Great terminal performance on around 25 deer very much like the wound damage I see with the 77gr TMK. Great penetration and massive tissue damage being normative..

I don't see myself switching to the 77gr TMK bullets because I can't imagine needing more than what the Gold Dots produce.. I have killed deer from 230 yrds to 10yrds with boring consistency of performance..

BTW all reloads over CCI 450 primers LC brass and AA 2520 powder..

RedRidge

WKR
I have a version of the hobbit rifle in the works setup for the TMKs. Have a couple hundred to load. I will post the finished product once the barrel arrives.

fshaw

WKR
So I've read 30 pages and still have 7 to go. Great thread, thanks for keeping it going. I just bought a 223 Montana that is a 9 twist. Will it stabilize the 77TMK and if not what's my next best bet for soft tissue destruction balanced with penetration? Hunting close range whitetails, typically well under 100yds.

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
So I've read 30 pages and still have 7 to go. Great thread, thanks for keeping it going. I just bought a 223 Montand that is a 9 twist. Will it stabilize the 77TMK and if not what's my next best bet for soft tissue destruction balanced with penetration? Hunting close range whitetails, typically well under 100yds.

Thanks.

Frank
I've mentioned it previously in the thread, but i'm shooting a 1:9 twist Savage & I haven't noticed any instability issues inside of 300yds. My group opens up beyond its typical cone at 500, but I don't have a 400yd berm to see exactly when that occurs. All I can CONFIDENTLY say is that at 300 & in, it's a non issue.

I've had a lot of luck in the past, with simple 65gn Gamekings on deer & smaller hogs, all inside or very close to, 100yds

Last edited:

fshaw

WKR
I hunt in the Adirondack forest so if it'll stabilize out to 200 yards that would be more than enough.

Thanks.

Frank

BigNate

WKR
I'll just add that in my experience, Barnes, or any monometal need higher velocity to be effective. Much off on velocity and the wound is narrow. Deep though.

In my slower twist barrels the 64gr Winchester PP works well, but think you'll get about the same out of Nosler bonded, or Speer gold dot in the same weight.

Hey man I'm all for it when you compare a .223 to a stick bow or a compound and a pile of adrenaline....

Shraggs

WKR
I can’t believe I passed on this thread till now!

thanks to OP, those that disagreed with the premise, and to those that have the intimate first hand knowledge to bring information to doubters and those willing to learn.

not sure I can sleep, rethinking my whole mix of calibers now...

damnit 😊