220 Swift or 22 Creedmoore?

I cannot speak to the 22 Creedmore yet (been wanting to try one), but I can attest to the accuracy, etc of the Swift.. I have a few of them (mostly pre-64 70s) and have been shooting them since the 60s... Other than brass becoming harder to find it is still a fantastic round.. If loaded full bore it can be hard on barrels, but so are most other high velocity rounds. Unfortunately most of my most accurate handloads are near max.. Barrel twist in the older guns sort of limit the use of heavy for caliber bullets... I does what you need a high velocity, flat shooting round to do.. It has been a varmit killing machine for used.. I also, like the 22/250, but the Swift will out perform it in most cases... The Creedmore has every reason to do as well or better..

OP
D
I cannot speak to the 22 Creedmore yet (been wanting to try one), but I can attest to the accuracy, etc of the Swift.. I have a few of them (mostly pre-64 70s) and have been shooting them since the 60s... Other than brass becoming harder to find it is still a fantastic round.. If loaded full bore it can be hard on barrels, but so are most other high velocity rounds. Unfortunately most of my most accurate handloads are near max.. Barrel twist in the older guns sort of limit the use of heavy for caliber bullets... I does what you need a high velocity, flat shooting round to do.. It has been a varmit killing machine for used.. I also, like the 22/250, but the Swift will out perform it in most cases... The Creedmore has every reason to do as well or better..
I agree. I have a swift and a 22-250 in rhe Old Ruger red butt pad tang safety models. They are still a favorite of mine. A friend has a remarried 22 CM in a really light configuration. The ballistic coefficient of that bullet must be high. It looks like a missle sticking out of the case.

OP
D
I plan to build a .22 creedmoor just for fun, but i'll be buried with my swift with hopes of taking it to the afterlife with me. It's my favorite cartridge by far.

View attachment 598545
View attachment 598546
View attachment 598547
View attachment 598548
Awesome Pics! The Swift is an awesome caliber! If a guy goes w a custom build he can pic his twist to stabilize those heavier bullets. And really buck wind on coyotes and take deer. It's a dandy for sure. I'd like the 22 creedmore more if it didn't say creedmoore. Haha. I'm so sick of hearing about the 6.5 I could puke. I'm not a follower. I'm way more on the wild
Cat end of the spectrum. I have a 17 ackley hornet and a .12 Eichelberger H&R Magnum.

BBob

WKR
I would imagine the Creedmoor would too!
👍 With great brass readily available it seems to be the way to go. You can build it on a short action and load heavies with no mag length restrictions at all. My reamer throated for the heavies finally came in. Everything else has been sitting waiting and ready to go. Just need to squeeze in the time to put it together :)

You could use a 22CM reamer but use 22-250 cases and call it the 22 ACM' (Anti Creedmoor) to get around the Creedmoor stigma :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
D
👍 With great brass readily available it seems to be the way to go. You can build it on a short action and load heavies with no mag length restrictions at all. My reamer throated for the heavies finally came in. Everything else has been sitting waiting and ready to go. Just need to squeeze in the time to put it together :)

You could use a 22CM reamer but use 22-250 cases and call it the 22 ACM' (Anti Creedmoor) to get around the Creedmoor stigma :ROFLMAO:

I like that! I'm also leaning towards the 220 Swift Ackley Improved.

Dirtbag

WKR
I like that! I'm also leaning towards the 220 Swift Ackley Improved.
A lot of folks go to the AI due to case stretching but I've never had issues with that. The touch of extra speed and just plain cool factor makes me want one though.

Superx3

FNG
Long time reader on here, but this post made me make an account and join in on the fun! I had a 22-6mm Remington built about 10 years ago. It’s like a lightning bolt things just die. I shoot an 80 gr eld-m just shy of 3600 out of a 28 inch barrel.

The swift is an awesome round for coyotes. When you say “long range coyotes” what are you thinking? I’d think for long range a 22 creedmoor shooting the heavier bullets will be better. Just my thoughts. I have a 22-250. Hard to beat a 250 or 220 swift for coyotes

TheGDog

WKR

Ya know.. that is a catchy sounding cartridge designation! "Hack'em with the Ack'm"