22 trainer - T1x vs 10/22 with bull barrel

I have a 223 trainer but I'd like to build a 22 trainer for cheaper ammo and faster shooting, general position work, and fun.

I have a basic 10/22 in a magpul chasis. Considering getting a Kidd bull barrel (5 shot 1/2" group at 50 yds guarantee) and probably a trigger kit or getting a Tikka T1x.

The 10/22 would be nice for not using to cycle the bolt for position work and family / friends / kids plinking. Any reason to get a T1x instead?

I assume either would shoot better than the stock 10/22 and be fun suppressed.

I have a nice 10/22 with a threaded barrel and a suppressor in a Hogue stock, but I wouldn’t consider using it at a “trainer” since I don’t have a semi-auto in that configuration to hunt with. It is nice to be able to work positions and such though with a little rifle like that though.

wyosam

WKR
Build your trainer as close to the rifle you’re training to use as you can. I hunt with Tikkas, so the T1x makes sense. Trigger is set identical. I can put it in the same stock both my hunting rifles are in. Aside from being a smidge heavier, it feels identical to my hunting rifle until the trigger breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
T1x is a great rifle. I'd go with that over a 10/22 any day of the week. You can dump a grand into the 10/22 and it might be as accurate as the tikka.

Kindo

WKR
T1x for sure. Accurate and fun to shoot. Might as well start teaching those kids muscle memory for bolt throw while they're young and forces them to take their time a bit more than just going to town with the trigger.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree with the bolt action rimfire trainer especially if you normally use a bolt action center fire.

Kurts86

WKR
10/22’s are a bottomless money pit if you are chasing accuracy and precision rifle training. They are fun guns to mag dump steel or double tap squirrels but they have limits.

A Tikka T1x or CZ 457 is the correct answer.

Flyrodr

FNG
Agree with the practice like you'll "play". Don't own the T1X, but I do have a CZ457, one of the models with the match chamber. I can't do this on demand, but the rifle certainly is capable, which makes it all the more fun to see as a "practice" gun. If you're not careful, you might find yourself looking for more opportunities to take your .22 trainer into the field.
CZ457 at 100 w: SK Rifle Match 09-16-23.jpg

4th_point

WKR
I use a heavy barrel 10/22 out to ~300. And a 54 beyond that.

The semi is a hoot at closer distances and shoots .5 at 50 but the variation in muzzle velocity limit the range even with std vel target ammo. No such problem with the turn bolt which shoots .2 at 50. Those are 5 shot group sizes.

Two different animals. Really need both and it would be tough to choose just one.

With your choices and application, I'd get the 10/22 first. Just have fun and don't worry about a trainer. Shoot golf balls or other reactive targets. The kids will probably love the challenge of moving targets, rapid target acquisition, and follow up shots.

Then add a target 22 later, if you still think you need it.

None replace a centerfire for actual training but you can still learn a lot.

Zermatt Bighorn 6.5 creed....
IMG_2361_(2).JPG

IMG_7134.JPG

Zermatt RimX trainer....
IMG_8467.JPG
IMG_E7492.JPG

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you have a tikka center fire rifle like lots of us do, the t1x is a no brainer. Especially with the 5rd flush fit mags.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Theres also a lot of options outside tikka if you’re interested.
A 10/22 usually isnt representative of most centerfires. Neither is any of the cheap feeling hollow stock rimfires. But those are the ones that are better suited for kids or novice shooters.
Theres cz457. Some similar cz models out of production. Some old marlins out of production. Theres other options that also may be worth exploring

BLJ

WKR
10/22’s are a bottomless money pit if you are chasing accuracy and precision rifle training. They are fun guns to mag dump steel or double tap squirrels but they have limits.

A Tikka T1x or CZ 457 is the correct answer.

I agree with this very much.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i had a 10/22 target model with bull barrel and laminate stock. looked real nice. my $115 marlin 795 shot as well as the 10/22 and holds the bolt open on an empty mag. i ditched the 10/22.

i have a 16" T1x for practice. i can lob subsonic rounds into a 2" circle all day at 100 yards. probably could do better with match ammo but why spent the money?

got my dad a CZ 457 to practice with because he should have the nicer rifle, and i'll get it back eventually anyway.

the 10/22 is what you buy if you want to blast through a 25 round banana mag in anger at an empty soda can. or maybe if you anticipate missing the squirrel with your first eight shots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How much time per day are you currently dry firing? How many centerfire rounds are you currently shooting per year (and what cartridges)? What's your current workout routine?

I think you need to be more focused on what you are actually "training", and better define your goals and associated timelines to reach those goals. If you want to work on building solid positions on the clock, a DFAT (or similar) and Triggercam will likely be a far better investment.

Dry fire is your skills acquisition, and can be used for, target acquisition, sight picture/sight alignment, NPA, controls manipulation (rifle, scope, tripod, etc), trigger control, positional build-and-break (bone support/muscle relaxation), developing/analyzing pre-fire & post-fire checklists, etc.

Buying a plinking/fun gun isn't training. If you want a plinking/fun gun, buy it - but you aren't training. The only thing different between dry fire and live fire is recoil. You can literally "train" everything other than recoil management/follow through at your house for free. You need to put in the time though. A new rifle or widget won't make you any better if you are not already putting in the time with what you have available.
Militaries around the world have had 22 trainers for years.

My t1x is set up identically to my t3x, trigger is the same, scope is the same, LOP is the same.