22 Creedmoor Custom Build - Do I Send It Back???

So a rifle build I've been waiting 8 months for finally showed up, and I have questions. 22 Creedmoor is a new cartridge for me, so I'd appreciate a sanity check.

I specified in the build that I wanted it throated for 88 ELDM's, and that was listed on the build invoice. SAAMI Max COAL is 2.7" I believe. Trying to headspace this thing and I can't even register on the ogive - comparator hits shoulder when I lightly jammed a loose bullet:
Initial_Headspace_1.jpg

So just measuring COAL at jam (2.662 in) I'm well under SAAMI max, and that 88 ELDM is sitting well below the neck/shoulder junction.

Initial_Headspace_2.jpg

Looking for opinions here - am I justified in saying this is NOT throated for 88 ELDMs and ask the gunsmith to fix it? Kind of gutted, but maybe I should just try and shoot the dang thing. I didn't have dummy round, and I don't believe they even manufacture factory 88 ELDM ammo so the assumption would be that I'm a handloader looking to optimize the cartridge and bullet combo, correct?

How would the appropriate comparator get past the case mouth and hit the shoulder? Regardless of bullet seating depth it's not possible.

If that bullet is seated to just jam into the lands your really giving up a lot for a creedmoor and the 88 depends on your gun but that might still be ok with my rifle and h4350 I was into pressure well before I had a full case if you end up shooting it I’d try h4350 and hopefully you’ll be where you want and not crushing powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
swavescatter
Gah - you guys are right I’m using a case comparator not my bullet comparator like a moron.

Nevertheless, that bullet is seated DEEP is it not?

Firth

FNG
I wouldn't be worried about seating the bullet past the neck shoulder junction. What's the max COAL that will fit in your action? If your action will allow more, you'd be leaving a small amount of case volume on the table, but it's nothing really.

I like to be able to reach the rifling and still be less than mag length and it looks like your gunsmith has throated the rifle so that you'll be able to reach the rifling within SAAMI confines, which means you should be able to reach the rifling in any short action. I usually seat 0.050 out, but being able to jam if I want gives me the full range of options and is a bigger deal to me than giving up a little volume.

I guess I'm saying it looks a little short, but I'd be way more pissed if it was a little long.

It look a little deep in the case..I don’t know if there is any true performance benefit to having it seated farther out. But it does not look throated to 88s IMO. Looks like standard .100 FB if I had to guess…although my two shot well with the .100 FB and 88s.

waspocrew

WKR
Did they offer you specific freebore on the reamer or did you send in a dummy round?

OP
swavescatter
Did they offer you specific freebore on the reamer or did you send in a dummy round?

No, and no.

It’s a tikka so I have plenty of room in the action. I seat my 6.5 creed out to 2.9” with M+ mags.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worried about seating the bullet past the neck shoulder junction. What's the max COAL that will fit in your action? If your action will allow more, you'd be leaving a small amount of case volume on the table, but it's nothing really.

I like to be able to reach the rifling and still be less than mag length and it looks like your gunsmith has throated the rifle so that you'll be able to reach the rifling within SAAMI confines, which means you should be able to reach the rifling in any short action. I usually seat 0.050 out, but being able to jam if I want gives me the full range of options and is a bigger deal to me than giving up a little volume.

I guess I'm saying it looks a little short, but I'd be way more pissed if it was a little long.

It's loaded to 2.66" to jam. in what magazine is that anywhere near a COAL concern?

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
I just did some quick measuring. My 22 CM doesn't have the crazy long freebore some post...I want to say my gunsmith only had the 0.090" reamer, so I just went with it. With the 88 ELDM seated .020" off the lands, my CBTO is 2.105" (COAL of 2.668"). It's shot really well with everything from the 62 gr up to the 95 SMK with plenty of velocity.

You might be a little short and it'll probably be fine- if it really bothers you, I'd reach out to the gunsmith about throating it for the length you want.

It will probably work fine but I would be disappointed with that result.

Also, maybe it's a coincidence but the 3 worst shooting custom barrels I've ever owned were the 3 in which the gunsmith used a shorter freebore reamer and throated them longer.. I'd give it another shot with the right smith if they didn't have the reamer to meet my desires but haven't struggled to get barrels with reamers spec'd like id want lately. [edit: just remembered a 4th barrel I have is throated this way as well and it shoots good]

Last edited:
OP
swavescatter
It's loaded to 2.66" in what magazine is that anywhere near a concern?

Not a concern for too long, but way down into the powder. I figured throating for long heavies would mean seating at the neck shoulder junction for the top of the boat tail.

I run pretty warm loads typically so I would assume that’s better in general. At some point my 223 custom loads approach this barrel burner if I’m leaving velocity on the table.

Lawnboi

WKR
Case fill is not a super big concern with a 22 creed, as in most powders guys are using aren’t filling the case up too much. If your going to use h1000 or rl26 you might have an issue but I doubt you have an issue with much else.

I’d ask the smith what freebore reamer he used? Looks like .062 to me which is about as short Iv seen for 22 creed.

Without sending a dummy, or specifying freebore, who knows what they chose and why.

You could shoot it an see how it goes, if it’s not satisfactory then send it to be throated. I’d talk to the smith beforehand on this one.

Stuff like this happens. This is why I mainly use prefits…

Not a concern for too long, but way down into the powder. I figured throating for long heavies would mean seating at the neck shoulder junction for the top of the boat tail.

I run pretty warm loads typically so I would assume that’s better in general. At some point my 223 custom loads approach this barrel burner if I’m leaving velocity on the table.

I know. I'm saying that limiting freebore in a 22 creed due to mag length concerns isn't really a thing. The case was designed to seat heavy 6.5s correctly and fit in standard mags. Heavy 6.5 bullets are longer than heavy 22s.

Lawnboi

WKR
My .100 freebore 22 creed in the 22 creed thread, on a fresh barrel touched at 2.71 basically right at the neck shoulder junction.

I’d see how it shoots before doing anything. Your never going to load that bullet that long, or max a m+ mag out with a 22 creed case because as mentioned above, the bullets are just not that long compared to their bigger brothers.

And at the end of the day, if it shoots well, which it probably will, none of that matters.

SDHNTR

WKR
Without providing him with a dummy round, and/or specific measurements, you left a lot up to the GS’s discretion and it’s now his opinion vs yours. Why not ask him for a chamber print and then compare to what you think is ideal, and if awry, then ask questions.

OP
swavescatter
I know. I'm saying that limiting freebore in a 22 creed due to mag length concerns isn't really a thing. The case was designed to seat heavy 6.5s correctly and fit in standard mags. Heavy 6.5 bullets are longer than heavy 22s.

Gotcha yeah I thought you had quoted me. Trying to do too many things right now with tikkas

TaperPin

WKR
The fix is the gunsmith running a throating reamer into one of the most critical parts of the chamber - maybe turning it by hand so he doesn’t have to remove the barrel. You have to hope he does it straight, and that his throating reamer is well made to the correct diameter, and it has a pilot that actually fits the bore.

Personally, the fix seems more prone to error with less accuracy than shooting as is.

OP
swavescatter
The fix is the gunsmith running a throating reamer into one of the most critical parts of the chamber - maybe turning it by hand so he doesn’t have to remove the barrel. You have to hope he does it straight, and that his throating reamer is well made to the correct diameter, and it has a pilot that actually fits the bore.

Personally, the fix seems more prone to error with less accuracy than shooting as is.

That’s not what I wanted to hear, but thank you.