22-250 down to two choices I think

TFrank

WKR
So I’m done about as much reading and looking around as I think I can take. Just wanted some extra two cents if anybody’s willing to give it.

I’m making the switch over to a 22,-250 for my primary varmint gun ( and by switch I mean I am still keeping my .223).

My two primary choices I am interested in Is the tikka T3 light and the Bergara B14 Ridge.

I’m looking for an average weight gun, possibly a suppressor someday (but that’s not a priority) and bolt action.

I think I like what the Bergara’s offering. The three stage bolt safety, rem 700 design, stalk finish and reported good stock trigger. I haven’t owned a gun with that type of muzzle break, and was wondering if the B 14 has a crown that can replace the brake too.

Also if someone has any comments not necessarily about the rifles themselves (ammo or caliber choice etc), that would be welcomed too. I am pretty confident in the 22-250 though.

Thanks for swinging by.

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
I've seen 1/8 twist Tikkas, which has the potential for heavier bullets than the Bergara
Yeah, I believe the bergara is one to nine. I was looking at primarily 55 grain VMAX bullet. But I would take the other rounds into consideration for Whitetail and antelope

2gawddsm

FNG
22-250 is my favorite caliber to use on coyotes especially if you can night hunt in your state. I have taken coyotes out at 330 yards with no hold over.

I dont think you can go wrong with either of those choices.

MHWASH

WKR
Are you primarily hunting coyotes, or varmints? If coyotes, I'd recommend the Tikka because they are know shooters and light weight. If varmint hunting where the additional weight isn't an issue, the Bergara would be preferable.

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
Are you primarily hunting coyotes, or varmints? If coyotes, I'd recommend the Tikka because they are know shooters and light weight. If varmint hunting where the additional weight isn't an issue, the Bergara would be preferable.
Yeah pretty much yotes. At any rate, the bergara would weigh out about the same as my big game rifle around 8.5. Havnt had too many complaints lugging that gun around.

Yeah, I believe the bergara is one to nine. I was looking at primarily 55 grain VMAX bullet. But I would take the other rounds into consideration for Whitetail and antelope
I like Tikka’s and have never owned a Bergara so I lean towards the Tikka.

Bullet wise if you were planning on the 55 Vmax you should look into the 53 Vmax.

KenLee

WKR
If you aren't dead set on those 2 choices, an old Remington 788 in 22-250 normally shoots light factory ammo so well you'll throw rocks at other rifles. I've ended up with three over the years...and not generally a fan of bolt action Remingtons.

Seeknelk

WKR
Tikka with the 1-8 is the only one I'd bother considering. Then I'd have it reamed to 22 Creedmoor cuz I have all the stuff for those already and seeing what you can do with a 88eld at 3200 +- is eye opening!

You can't make a bad choice between the two. The heavier barrel of the Ridge might make it stay a little cooler during a protracted session.

Tikka. I haven't heard any stories about dud Tikkas, but I have two friends who have/are trading/selling their Bergara's.

kkp005

WKR
Tikka. I haven't heard any stories about dud Tikkas, but I have two friends who have/are trading/selling their Bergara's.

Yep. Tikka. I had a dud 308 Bergara. Got sick of chasing it for accuracy and ended up getting APR to rechamber / rebarrel it

If you’re dead set on the 55gr Vmax then I wouldn’t get a 1:8 22-250, that bullet is very very thin and that’s a lot of RPM’s at 22-250 muzzle velocities. 1:9 may be ok.

The 53gr Vmax is a far superior bullet, not sure what they do to it and why but it does fine in fast twist barrels, they’re more uniform, and they have a higher BC than the 55gr too. It would be fine in a 1:14 and more ideal at 22-250 velocity but I know people who run them in 8 twist 22 creedmoors and they don’t come apart so an 8 twist would be fine too and would give you the option to load heavies if you wanted.

With that said, if it were me I’d get the Tikka 8 twist and then run Berger 80.5gr full bores. Basically a laser beam to 600 yards at 22-250 velocities, super accurate and uniform bullet, and really really effective on varmints.

Since buying my Bergara in 22-250 the only time my tikka comes out is if I have someone come along and needs a gun to shoot. We hunt with thermal scopes 4-5 nights a week and I absolutely love this Bergara. Put my new thermal on it and it all I shout now. My Tikka has my old IR Scope on it and she just sets unless a buddy that doesn’t have thermal wants to hunt with me . But either one ur not gonna be upset

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
I did get a bergara. My dudes didn’t have any availability for tikkas, and I have no patience.

Hard to believe I didn’t get a Tikka, as I have always wanted one.

Thanks for all the input. I know these this vs that threads pop up all the time. It is nice to get specific input on ones exact scenario.