2025 moose hunt out of Iliamna AK

kbarnes

FNG
Planning a unguided moose hunt out of Iliamna for 2025. Looking for first hand info from folks familiar with the area. I'm looking at a drop camp type hunt with gear supplied by others. Just curious about experiences from other hunters that have done this. Thanks Kirk

AKBorn

WKR
I haven't done a remote hunt out of Iliamna in 20 years, moved to hunting in Unit 20 and have been hunting that unit since 2006. Some of this info will still be pertinent, and hopefully others will pipe in with more current data...

Have a solid plan for getting your meat and antlers back to Anchorage (I am assuming that you're flying into ANC and then on to Iliamna). Back when I did it, there wasn't room on the small plane that flew us back to ANC for my meat and antlers - had that flown from Iliamna to Anchorage via AK Air Cargo.

There are a few lodges in Iliamna that specialize in salmon/trout fishing clientele, and some should still be open during moose season. I stayed overnight in Iliamna before flying into the bush; when I returned from my hunts, I flew back to Anchorage the same day that I flew into Iliamna from the field, thanks to making plans for my meat and antlers ahead of time.

If you plan on getting any gear, food, or supplies in Alaska, will be cheaper and a much wider selection if you shop in Anchorage before heading to Iliamna. There was only one general store in Iliamna back when I went through there.

How is your outfitter going to get the gear you're renting to Iliamna? If it were me, I would give myself time to sort through the gear I rented before flying into the bush, to ensure that you have everything you're supposed to have, and that the gear all works as intended.

Used to be great fishing in the area if you have any free time at the start/end of your trip.

Best of luck to you.