2024 - Moose Hunt

RunNGunSC

FNG
I probably oversold it when I told my wife I hit the lottery. She got almost as excited as me but it clearly didn’t last long. I started a multi-state application strategy several years ago, targeting cool animals in cool places. The strategy is simple; get one quality out of state big game hunt a year. I hunt duck and turkey out of state annually already.

This year…it was Maine Moose. Clearly one of the least likely tags. I was prepared for Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, even Orxy…but moose??? Additionally, the North Woods are a little different than the Rockies, Canada, or Alaska. It was a September hunt, so calling would be the game plan. As an avid turkey hunter, that actually made things much easier. I love interaction and was hoping to get into it with a Moose, be careful what you ask for.

The hunt started Monday morning and lasted 6 days. We left Friday at 3:00 am and arrived in the zone around lunch on Saturday. We spent the next 1.5 days scouting hard, finding pockets of Moose sign. Sunday night we met up with a great person, hunter, and guide. He knew I preferred DIY and was supportive of my hunting style. Specifically, I wanted to participate in all aspects of the hunt and the calling; did not want to rely on electronic calls; did not want to hunt roads; and wanted to quarter the moose in the field. Let’s just say that is far from typical in Maine.

Attachments

• Live Moose.jpeg
    Live Moose.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Alders.jpeg
    Alders.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
RunNGunSC

RunNGunSC

FNG
Sunday we went over the spots I scouted and the spots he pre scouted, including some trail cam pics. Let’s just say his inventory was strong. He clearly put in the time and I appreciate it. We headed out at sunset, working halfway into the spot we planned to hunt Monday morning. There was a very light wind out of the east. The guide made several long loud hot cow calls and we instantly heard a few faint bull grunts. Game on…we backed out slowly. The strategy was to get several bulls worked up and into the area searching for the cow that night.

We returned before shooting light but stayed at the truck until legal light. We worked in slowly, grunting occasionally to cover the little noise we were making. The first “set-up” was at the opening where we made our calls Sunday night. A bull responded instantly several hundred yards away. We heard some brush cracking but nothing else happened over the next 30 minutes. The wind was in our favor, so we cut about half the distance and cow called a little. No response.

Based on the guide’s knowledge of the area and onX, we figured the bull was bedded in a thicket of alders and maple saplings. We worked our way down a game trail grunting and using a scapula to rake and break brush…POP

Last edited:
OP
RunNGunSC

RunNGunSC

FNG
We clearly busted into his bubble… and he was pissed about it. It went from silent to loud grunts and the sound of crushing trees. The guide almost yelled find a clearing, so we rushed about 10 yards ahead. There we grunted back and destroyed an alder by raking it with the scapula. The bull closed the distance quickly. If you have ever seen King Kong or Jurassic Park, picture 15 foot trees being pushed to the side as he made a straight line towards us. After the last set of trees he stopped at 30 yards.

The grunting match was intense; but the bull was clearly making a stand. All we could see was half of the bull’s antler, as I kept whispering no shot. Then it got a little wester. The only way this was ending with a bull, was to basically charge a 1000 lb animal that wanted to beat the shit out of us. So we did…The alders were about 8 feet tall and my guide assumed we could close the distance to some small sapling to gain some elevation for a shot. As we moved forward quickly, holding the antler above his head, we were actually getting lower. It is not a good sign to show weakness as the bull would likely charge back, so we kept talking shit and moving forward. At 30.5 feet or 10.1 yards (I measured), the guide stepped left with one relatively thick set of alders between us and a very pissed off bull. I could see the top of the antlers, the head, a large black backdrop and a 1 foot wide window in the alders behind what appeared to be the front leg. It was clearly in the vitals, so I pulled the trigger. He whirled and fell two yards from the shot. After a minute or so, we moved right to higher ground and put 3 more mercy shots into him. Backing off and letting him pass.

The first shot ended up being perfect and the 7MM rem mag left a huge exit in the middle of his lungs.

Attachments

• Moose.jpeg
    Moose.jpeg
    664 KB · Views: 8
OP
RunNGunSC

RunNGunSC

FNG
Moving a moose is not easy. We tried to reposition him but ended up quartering the first half basically were he fell. The team packed the first few quarters to shade by the truck, before bringing back a jet sled. We were able to move the truck to within ½ mile. The alders were 4-8 feet high and it was impressive how the sled smooshed through them. No one else wanted to put a bone in hind quarter on their back, lol. It went well and we were finished in about 2 hours. The processor measured him at 51” (would be around 55” without the broken tines) and likely over 1000 lbs live weight (850ish dressed).

A couple days later, we went back in measuring the shot and reliving the hunt. We found his bed and walked the path he likely made as he headed our way. It was clear we were in his bedroom. There were several fresh large rut pits and beds. What an awesome hunt, if anyone else draws a tag reach out and I will gladly share what I know and put you in touch with a bad ass guide.

Attachments

• Rut Pit.jpeg
    Rut Pit.jpeg
    844.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Rub.jpeg
    Rub.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Quartering.jpeg
    Quartering.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Water.jpeg
    Water.jpeg