2024 Colorado Elk Elevations

Wickss

FNG
Curious what elevation everyone has been finding elk so far in Colorado. I've spent days in units 36, 37, & 361 and all elk i've found have been real close to 10,000 feet in elevation, give or take about 500 feet.

Warm temps, winter coats growing back. Gotta stay cool. If warmer day temps continue into later Sept and October, winter coats keep growing and they will stay high or higher.

Why is it always “what elevation” really has nothing to do with temps, season anything like that. Rocky Mountain elk were originally plains animals, forced to the mountains by settlers.

I hear it every year, I gotta be 15 miles into the back country and above 11,000 feet. There’s 40 head of elk hanging out at 6300’ elevation everyday in the junipers, I’ve seen small herds at 11,000 and sept 7 we killed a 345” bull at 9000’ elevation chasing 9 cows.

The common misconceptions of the social media world put unrealistic tendencies on elk. The easiest answer is elk are where you find them. With all the pressure, recreational activity etc they are going to the spots they don’t see people or have super easy escape routes. Find those spots on the maps and go there, elevation won’t matter much they don’t care about elevation it’s safety, food and water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
In elk every day since September 3rd. All from 7200-7800. Elevation isn't as important as feed, cover, and water. Can't find them at treeline if the highest elevation is 9000. They will be where the pressure isn't.