2024 Chevy Silverado 2500HD ZR2 - Gas or Diesel for primarly hunting?

Based on your use case, gas will be your better option.

If you don’t work a diesel regularly, you will have issues with the emissions systems eventually.

As to payload, Ford and Chevy have increased their GVWR on their 2500 series trucks and they should offer plenty of payload, especially with a gas engine.

I would not do the supercharger. It will void your warranty and likely trash your transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
A

Asheron

FNG
Curious, how much $ is the supercharger going to cost? That adds a lot of torque.
It's about 7-8k installed. It's a bit better than the 10k markup.

It doesn't affect warranty as it is easily removed and uses all stock engine parts.

As long as we keep the extra compression to 6 psi or less it's the same compression as the diesel turbocharger. No risk of damage or stressing the transmission or rest of the power train more than what the diesel would do. Remember the diesel is 975 ft-lbs torque. We're still less torque at 700 ft-lbs @ 6 psi with the procharger.

Also keep in mind that as we go up in altitude the air is more thin which is why the diesel does better - again mostly due to its turbo. At say 12,000 ft we're 66% as dense as sea level. So the procharger with this conservative setting gets us back to sea level pressures. Not bad at all - completely reasonable.

Many people jack it up to 8-12 psi, so we're 1/2 under max.

One downside is we now have to use higher octane fuel. Above 1,500 we need 91 octane. If we go down to sea level - 93. We're probably fine to stick with 87 at 7,000-10,000.

Given those octane levels also shows the setting is conservative engine wise.

LCV

FNG

It doesn't affect warranty as it is easily removed and uses all stock engine parts.
Just fyi, unless this is some kind of package from a GM affiliate like Callaway, they will almost certainly try to deny any engine related warranty claim after installing a procharger.

Once you’ve had it tuned GM can tell it’s been modified even if you take off the procharger

LCV

FNG
Also for towing I would consider taking a look at a twin-screw blower like whipple over a procharger. Would likely be a more involved install however

OP
A

Asheron

FNG
Also for towing I would consider taking a look at a twin-screw blower like whipple over a procharger. Would likely be a more involved install however
I appreciate it! I'll look into them too.

What's the pros and cons of both?

LCV

FNG
I appreciate it! I'll look into them too.

What's the pros and cons of both?
Twin-screw superchargers generally make more power earlier in the rpm range. A centrifugal supercharger like procharger will usually make power higher up in the rpm range.

A lot of people like a centrifugal because it will feel pretty much like stock cruising around at low rpm and only be rowdy when you step on it.

Twin screws tend to take up more space, need more cooling, usually a lower ceiling on power potential if you’re going all out.

For something like a sports car I like a centrifugal. For a truck where there’s usually no issue on space and you’re not revving it out all the time I like a twin-screw.

Just my opinion. Google centrifugal vs twin-screw you’ll find a bunch of information on various automotive forums.

OP
A

Asheron

FNG
Twin-screw superchargers generally make more power earlier in the rpm range. A centrifugal supercharger like procharger will usually make power higher up in the rpm range.

A lot of people like a centrifugal because it will feel pretty much like stock cruising around at low rpm and only be rowdy when you step on it.

Twin screws tend to take up more space, need more cooling, usually a lower ceiling on power potential if you’re going all out.

For something like a sports car I like a centrifugal. For a truck where there’s usually no issue on space and you’re not revving it out all the time I like a twin-screw.

Just my opinion. Google centrifugal vs twin-screw you’ll find a bunch of information on various automotive forums.
Sweet! I'll take a look.

How does the twin-screw feel for off-roading? Does the twin screw feel more like a diesel?

I like having the lower/more control of torque of gas vs diesel.

LCV

FNG
Sweet! I'll take a look.

How does the twin-screw feel for off-roading? Does the twin screw feel more like a diesel?

I like having the lower/more control of torque of gas vs diesel.
My experience is primarily messing with cars, and zero experience with diesels as I’ve only owned gas trucks.

If you’re doing much off-roading a procharger may be the better option, like I said they generally behave close to stock when you’re putting around at low rpm.

Choupique

WKR

As long as we keep the extra compression to 6 psi or less it's the same compression as the diesel turbocharger. No risk of damage or stressing the transmission or rest of the power train more than what the diesel would do. Remember the diesel is 975 ft-lbs torque. We're still less torque at 700 ft-lbs @ 6 psi with the procharger.

Also keep in mind that as we go up in altitude the air is more thin which is why the diesel does better - again mostly due to its turbo

I won't spend too much bandwidth on this since you've thought it all out and made your mind up already, but the bulk of your logic of why this is a good idea is not technically sound.

I'll expound on it if you want. You would be far better served putting that $8k towards the upcharge for a diesel.