2024 Antelope meatpole

Marshfly

WKR
Ne nm is a hurting in a bad way population wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure is. When I lived in Louisiana we drove that Clayton-Raton stretch every summer a couple of times heading to the mountains. Saw goats everywhere. This was pre 2020. I had to drive that back and forth for a trip back down there late August this year and saw very, very few pronghorn. It was pretty saddening. I spent the night in Clayton and chatted with some hunters at the hotel and none of them had seen much if anything.

WRO

WKR
Sure is. When I lived in Louisiana we drove that Clayton-Raton stretch every summer a couple of times heading to the mountains. Saw goats everywhere. This was pre 2020. I had to drive that back and forth for a trip back down there late August this year and saw very, very few pronghorn. It was pretty saddening. I spent the night in Clayton and chatted with some hunters at the hotel and none of them had seen much if anything.

I’ve hunted the same place every year for the last 7 years, I’d say the population is down 70% in the last 3.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Unlimited landowner tags I am sure is the issue. So how long will that continue. I predict longer than the 2 to 3 Non-resident draw tags. I wonder if there are enough bucks to bread the does. I saw several doe groups with out a buck and never saw a group with more than one buck. I also saw no young bucks in groups or even alone.
Oh well a lot of money in selling hunts at $4,500 to $5,000. But that will not last either.

WRO

WKR
Unlimited landowner tags I am sure is the issue. So how long will that continue. I predict longer than the 2 to 3 Non-resident draw tags. I wonder if there are enough bucks to bread the does. I saw several doe groups with out a buck and never saw a group with more than one buck. I also saw no young bucks in groups or even alone.
Oh well a lot of money in selling hunts at $4,500 to $5,000. But that will not last either.

There’s 20% the bucks there were 3 years ago, we’ve been the only group hunting 29k private acres for 7 years. The last 3 we’ve had to deal with trespassers and other nonsense. Ne nm is so sparsely populated I’m guessing allot of locals buy tags and use them as travel tickets to hunt every piece of unoccupied land they can. Thing is you can put a goat in a rig in under 5 minutes, so it’s way to easy.

I’ve heard rumor there’s been a blue tongue die off as well, which would align with get sheer lack of does as well.