2024 AK Moose Prep

AKDoc

WKR
Doc,
Do you wear your Kenai jacket in light rain? Does the Kenai dry out pretty fast after getting wet? Do you use the Yukon for your main rain jacket? Same for your rain pants? Have a blast on your upcoming moose hunt and best of luck.
MtnW
Good questions...

No, I don't wear my Kenai jacket in light rain...I use it as my insulation layer under my rain jacket. I have the original 1.0 version of the Kenai jacket. The pit-zips help me keep the heat regulated, so it has never gotten too wet from sweating. I've found it to dry just fine.

When it's raining and/or the wind is cold, I'm wearing my Yukon rain gear, both jacket and pants. I've had my Yukon gear ever since it first came out, and I still take it with me. It is the best and most durable rain layer I have ever owned...hands down, the best...and I have worn the sh*t out of it year after year here!!

You have a great time on your hunt as well...best of luck to you.

AKDoc

WKR
I've also found that bulls don't respond well in warmer weather. They are fat and growing a winter coat so the warmer days discourage exercise. Let the sun go down and they come alive. I once called two bulls into my area but they wouldn't climb the hill to an open spot where I could butcher them. Five hours, I played with those bulls until the sun went behind the mountain and they both trotted out to stand in the open at 60 yards..
That's a great point Vern...very true.

I'll add that when the wind and rain are pounding and I'm in my tent waiting out the storm...sometimes day after day :ROFLMAO: ...I always remind myself that when this sh*tty wx finally breaks, then the animals are going to be popping out! That is true! They have been hunkered down during the storm as well...and they do pop-out to move, eat and get water!!!!

VernAK

WKR
AKDoc, Indeed BTDT more than once. A few years ago [3-4], As the wind and rain quit, my very poor hearing picked up the sound of a grunt outside the tent. My buddy, George, ran out with his big handgun and started shooting. Unfortunately, it didn't die close to the tent, but it did end up on a TV program FWIW.

AKDoc

WKR
AKDoc, Indeed BTDT more than once. A few years ago [3-4], As the wind and rain quit, my very poor hearing picked up the sound of a grunt outside the tent. My buddy, George, ran out with his big handgun and started shooting. Unfortunately, it didn't die close to the tent, but it did end up on a TV program FWIW.
Right on Vern!

You'll remember two years ago when I was in a residual typhoon for several days. I got up very slowly and quietly the morning that it lifted...and guess who was outside...

IMG_6574.jpeg

...a 64" 5x3 bull.

Right on Vern!

You'll remember two years ago when I was in a residual typhoon for several days. I got up very slowly and quietly the morning that it lifted...and guess who was outside...

View attachment 751410

...a 64" 5x3 bull.

Doc, that bull would make my trip! Man, I’m starting to get excited and nervous…. I’ve got so much I need to get done for this trip but I’m so busy with work that it’s been tough. I will be going through my check list again Sunday for sure and start squaring away gear. This is taking on an entire new realm given the distance of the float, remoteness, and game we are after. I know we can handle it but until you actually do it… lol

I just hope we get a chance at a big mature bull (or two ). I know there were two mid 60’s killed by the hunters that were in this area last year. One over 60’s a few years prior and they are always successful but that still doesn’t calm the nerves when it comes to a successful harvest. The area should hold animals for sure.

They hunt it simple. Find areas with fresh sign and call them to the river. I’m a newbie on moose calling but pretty decent at elk calling and I understand how they go through phases in and out do rut.

I need to get back to practicing my cow calls and bull grunts.

I got the raking down. That works on elk too! Especially mixing with whiny cow calls and raghorn chuckles. I’ve found that getting into “character” acting out the scene helps tremendously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Doc, that bull would make my trip! Man, I’m starting to get excited and nervous…. I’ve got so much I need to get done for this trip but I’m so busy with work that it’s been tough. I will be going through my check list again Sunday for sure and start squaring away gear. This is taking on an entire new realm given the distance of the float, remoteness, and game we are after. I know we can handle it but until you actually do it… lol

I just hope we get a chance at a big mature bull (or two ). I know there were two mid 60’s killed by the hunters that were in this area last year. One over 60’s a few years prior and they are always successful but that still doesn’t calm the nerves when it comes to a successful harvest. The area should hold animals for sure.

They hunt it simple. Find areas with fresh sign and call them to the river. I’m a newbie on moose calling but pretty decent at elk calling and I understand how they go through phases in and out do rut.

I need to get back to practicing my cow calls and bull grunts.

I got the raking down. That works on elk too! Especially mixing with whiny cow calls and raghorn chuckles. I’ve found that getting into “character” acting out the scene helps tremendously!

You're on track guy. Relax...and enjoy the world of the animal that you are hunting when you get there.

I just truly love being there...totally being there in the world of the moose. It is fun, interesting, and I m ALWAYS learning...regardless of how many years I have hunted them (nearly 40 years...thankfully).

I hope you have a great hunt!

OP
Robinhood21
I’ll be in the bush in a few days. My cousins season starts when we get there and I will be able to hunt shortly after.

It’s been a long two years, but it’s always worth the wait. Good luck to all the old timers and the first timers.

I wish everybody good weather, big bulls, and an adventure of a lifetime! 👊🏼

IMG_7140.jpeg

[mention]Larry Bartlett [/mention] any opinion on using a kayak paddle on your pioneer pro x stream if it’s just one guy? Do I need a giant reach to be able to paddle or should be fine?

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Right on Vern!

View attachment 751410

...a 64" 5x3 bull.
I love this photo.

All moose hunters would be best to listen do AKdoc and Vern when they choose to share some knowledge and experience.

If you get stuck in the tent cuz of weather keep a quiet camp but don’t be afraid to call. Our personal best moose was shot 10 yards from the wall tent.

AKDoc

WKR
...All moose hunters would be best to listen do AKdoc and Vern when they choose to share some knowledge and experience....
That's very kind of you to say, sir.

That said, I'm still always learning...from the experiences of past, present and future adventures...learning from others...and learning from my mistakes (and I'm sure I'm not done with those :ROFLMAO:).

Alaska is very humbling for all of us, but she is one hell of a ride of adventures that defy adequate verbal description :).

...and I'm heading out for more learning in just over a week!

We just landed in anchorage. Should be flying into the on Tuesday. That’s gonna be a rough day of packing gear… lol

AKDoc

WKR
We just landed in anchorage. Should be flying into the on Tuesday. That’s gonna be a rough day of packing gear… lol

Welcome to Alaska...getting here and all the work of your adventure ahead!!

Be safe and enjoy!!

Welcome to Alaska...getting here and all the work of your adventure ahead!!

Be safe and enjoy!!

Thank you sir! My wife and I love it here. Sunny and 57 is hitting the spot right now after 96 and 80% humidity all summer in Houston…

Something about the rugged mountains, tundra, and float planes/super cubs tugs at our souls. Alaska is a special place for sure. We feel privileged being here!

4edaa594706e3659e46384e1947a8746.jpg

roymunson

WKR
Thank you sir! My wife and I love it here. Sunny and 57 is hitting the spot right now after 96 and 80% humidity all summer in Houston…

Something about the rugged mountains, tundra, and float planes/super cubs tugs at our souls. Alaska is a special place for sure. We feel privileged being here!

4edaa594706e3659e46384e1947a8746.jpg

Looks like Lake Hood to me. the plane watching for 1/2 an hour will get your blood pumping to get out there yourself.

VernAK

WKR
That's very kind of you to say, sir.

That said, I'm still always learning...from the experiences of past, present and future adventures...learning from others...and learning from my mistakes (and I'm sure I'm not done with those :ROFLMAO:).

Alaska is very humbling for all of us, but she is one hell of a ride of adventures that defy adequate verbal description :).

...and I'm heading out for more learning in just over a week!
Good Luck Doc!

Good Luck to all of you moose hunting Roksliders!

Age is catching up to me so I'm hunting around home, but moose are scarce, so I keep a shotgun on board.

The Purple Heart Veteran moose hunt was successful with six bulls taken.
I'm getting a few geese, but cranes haven't arrived yet.

MQQSE

FNG
Just taking off for Bethel ANC as I type this. Hope to be in the field with my son and friend tomorrow. Took a velvet bull in Idaho on 9/2. Should be some good days ahead.

Good luck to everyone.