2024 AK Moose Prep

AKDoc

WKR
Guess I could just ask for the gear list like everyone else, but only really wanted to ask a question. Are you (do most guys) just skip a softshell type jacket and plan on wearing a rain coat all the time? my DIY starts in about 37 days and that's one of the stupid/nagging questions that keep rolling around in my brain when I should be sleeping at night.
I personally don't bring a soft-shell jacket for moose hunts.

I pretty much live in my Kenai jacket and rain coat....in fact, I always bring a back-up rain coat (plus other stuff). I also have a down parka that I can put on after last light (if it's not raining). I like to sit outside our tents at the end of the hunting day (in the dark) with a warm Peak meal "cooking" under my jacket, enjoying the remote solitude.

I hope you have a great adventure!!

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't bring a soft-shell jacket for moose hunts.

I pretty much live in my Kenai jacket and rain coat....in fact, I always bring a back-up rain coat (plus other stuff). I also have a down parka that I can put on after last light (if it's not raining). I like to sit outside our tents at the end of the hunting day (in the dark) with a warm Peak meal "cooking" under my jacket, enjoying the remote solitude.

I hope you have a great adventure!!
That is what I did. I did have a mid layer synthetic insulation piece that was dwr treated. I had a Rab jacket that is similar to kuiu kenai. I lived in my rain gear for a ridge top hunt.
2 for 2. Thanks. Am limited to 45#'s and the softshell I've got is about a pound and a half. A lot of more useful stuff I've learned about in this thread I could bring

OP
Robinhood21
Guess I could just ask for the gear list like everyone else, but only really wanted to ask a question. Are you (do most guys) just skip a softshell type jacket and plan on wearing a rain coat all the time? my DIY starts in about 37 days and that's one of the stupid/nagging questions that keep rolling around in my brain when I should be sleeping at night.
No soft shell for me. All base layers, mid layers, insulation layers and Hardshell/raingear.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
@Roofer1 Limited to 45#, what the heck airplane are you taking in? a 65hp champ?
Parachuting in with a spear and a loin cloth....😄. It's with a transporter so he's got all the camp gear, food, ... that kind of stuff. I just have to worry about my hunting gear. At this point I'm sitting pretty good with my 45#'s, just trying to shave a little for some additional "comfort" type stuff.

medvedyt

WKR
no softshell for me and despite that lack never felt something was missing.

jdub17

FNG
Base, mid, puffy and raincoat for me. I have a soft shell that I really like for dry hunts, but not for a moose trip.

wyosam

WKR
funny we call puffy coat what was called since the 50s a belay jacket ...

I’ve never heard a non-climber call a puffy a belay jacket, though I wasn’t around in the 50’s or 60’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medvedyt

WKR
I’ve never heard a non-climber call a puffy a belay jacket, though I wasn’t around in the 50’s or 60’s.

the elders in the mountains told me about that already as a kid but was born mid-60s ... lol and i hunted and climbed thus the reason for the belay but everybody in pyrenees and the alps called that belay. a great tool to always have.

AKnatv907

FNG
A tip: Moose gutting. A lot of people take a saw and split the brisket bone right up the middle in order to get the upper vitals out of the moose. My pops showed me when I was a kid how to take a Wyoming saw (or even a serrated cutco knife in a pinch at the cartilage joints) and start at the head end of those rib joints and cut through them down towards the gut-end on both sides of the brisket and remove that entire giant chunk of bone. Once you do there is a ton of space to cut the esophagus high in the neck and pull all the guts out. No dealing with sharp brisket bone trying to close back up on you as you are removing the upper vitals. I just thought this was the way it was done, but over the years I have shown this to a bunch of buddies on their moose and they are believers now.
Yup yup, using the esophagus as a
Anyone bringing a lightweight fishing set up? I'm on the fence on if it's worth it...
I do! I hunt out of a cabin and on a lake tho, so it's pretty easy to have stuff available!

Sure, I need your email address

[email protected]

I’m headed out sep 3-17 for the 5-15 season with the wife on a float hunt. I could use that list as well just as a double check.

Also, anyone have recommendations on tarp sizes and quantity. I have a small sil tarp and a 8x10 sil to set up and glass/hunt under if weather gets nasty. Just curious what other tarps I would/should need. I know I need one more for sure if we are very so lucky to get a bull down in order to cover meat.

Thanks!

Anyone bringing a lightweight fishing set up? I'm on the fence on if it's worth it...

4 pc 6wt fly rod for me with wading belt/flies/etc
4 pc spinning set up for my wife with vibrax spinners.

I’d like to take my 4wt but I think I’d be under gunned on the water where we are at. Especially if I get into silvers. And, I’m not pro so casting #6 streamers isn’t easy for me on a light weight set up. I am bringing an assortment of beads too! Rainbows are on the menu!

AKDoc

WKR
It's getting close guys...I'm exactly one month away from fly-in. This evening I could feel some coolness in the air. Autumn is coming!!

The very best to all of you for safe and wonderful adventures...and thank you Robinhood21 for starting this thread.

medvedyt

WKR
It's getting close guys...I'm exactly one month away from fly-in. This evening I could feel some coolness in the air. Autumn is coming!!

The very best to all of you for safe and wonderful adventures...and thank you Robinhood21 for starting this thread.
i felt it too only +7c and rain like there is no end and yellow leaves on the ground it is coming ....

OP
Robinhood21

Good luck to you and your Son Doc! Just shy of 3 weeks on my departure. It's a weird feeling of excitement and anxiousness. I feel prepared and my body feels strong... it's the "unknown" of Alaska that has me worked up inside.

Constantly going through my lists and double checking what I need to do last minute in my head. I shipped all my food up north last week and it has already made it to the destination.

Taking the rifle out another time or two to verify zero and drops... moose missiles are ready to go.

Good luck to you all. I wish nothing but great adventure, big bulls and mild weather for everyone (surely it won't be as wet as 2022!!)

Looking forward to reading everyone's stories.

IMG_7065.jpeg