2024 AK Moose Prep

jofes

WKR
JUST OVER 6 WEEKS AWAY AND I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!

License & Locking Tags Bought... Harvest Tickets printed off.

I went ahead and grabbed a black bear tag also. We haven't seen many while out there both trips but we have seen some and you never know! Plus, last trip we were fortunate to see 5 wolverines. Two of them got within 60 yards of my cousin but neither of us had other tags in our pocked so we couldn't take them.

I also laid eyes on a wolf in 2022 so I figured a Black Bear tag could turn into a bonus animal... why not?

Cool thing is, my cousin is an AK resident so the opportunity for him to take a brown bear is there as well.
Do you do most of your training hikes in your Simms wader boots?

BlaserF3

FNG
Hey Robinhood, Can I get a copy of your list as well? We are heading to a moose hunt in Northern Ontario in late October. I'm curious to see the differences in gear. Thanks.

jofes

WKR
Went out and walked around a wetlands area last night in our Simms to make sure they didn't rub anywhere, was a good experience and makes me more confident in the upcoming trip.

OP
Robinhood21
Went out and walked around a wetlands area last night in our Simms to make sure they didn't rub anywhere, was a good experience and makes me more confident in the upcoming trip.
I was thoroughly impressed with our Simms Freestones as well. We never got blisters and were surprisingly comfy

BigTree

FNG
This forumn was helpful to me and my father when preparing for a 10 day diy drop hunt in Alaska in 2022.

A few things that helped us.

8 man cabelas tent. A small camping table and large tote made for a comfortable indoor camp with room to stand, very nearly up right for a 6' 3" tall fella.

Extra water filter cartridges; the murky lakes clogged our 1st filter in a few days. Bring iodine as a back up in addition to extra filters.

Chest waders.

Dried vegetable soup, cous cous and butter. Great lunch and a nice breakfast from mountain house/backpacker pantry. We also had every other dinner be a simple non freeze dried meal.

Micro rescue pulleys, cord and mule tape. If you know how to set up a mechanical advantage system using pulleys (9:1 advantage) it is awesome. I can send you details if interested. I shot a 65" bull in the Swamp where our pilot said not to go because we wouldn't get the moose out.... we used the pulley system to move the moose a short distance and then hold quarters up while processing so we could each work on a quarter at the same time, glorious!

We left one additional dry bag at the hanger with extra supplies; food, bourbon and miscellaneous things our fly in weight limit wouldn't allow. When the first moose was down they brought out our resupply bag, it gave us reassurance and increased our comfort knowing we didn't have to ration food or certain supplies. I have a huge appetite and like to be prepared with extra clothes, fuel, emergency supplies.

A sil nylon tarp, light weight and strechy with plenty of paracord. Around 10'x12'
Used to create a covered outdoor area in front of the tent and then to cover meat from rain when waiting on the meat pick up.

Akdoc and others whose postings were helpful to me, I appreciate your contributions here.

Shoot straight!

jofes

WKR
Anyone bringing a lightweight fishing set up? I'm on the fence on if it's worth it...

wyosam

WKR
Anyone bringing a lightweight fishing set up? I'm on the fence on if it's worth it...

If there is a stream with grayling in it nearby, they are a bunch of fun on a 3wt or lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I could just ask for the gear list like everyone else, but only really wanted to ask a question. Are you (do most guys) just skip a softshell type jacket and plan on wearing a rain coat all the time? my DIY starts in about 37 days and that's one of the stupid/nagging questions that keep rolling around in my brain when I should be sleeping at night.

Cyril

FNG
Guess I could just ask for the gear list like everyone else, but only really wanted to ask a question. Are you (do most guys) just skip a softshell type jacket and plan on wearing a rain coat all the time? my DIY starts in about 37 days and that's one of the stupid/nagging questions that keep rolling around in my brain when I should be sleeping at night.
That is what I did. I did have a mid layer synthetic insulation piece that was dwr treated. I had a Rab jacket that is similar to kuiu kenai. I lived in my rain gear for a ridge top hunt.