2023 DIY Muley from PA

Good deal man! And oh hell ya! Now that’s a setup!
Wall tents are the way to go. That one is an 8x8 spike tent made of synthetic material. Only weighs 15 lbs so I can backpack it. I keep forgetting my woodstove on the mountain. 😉

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0983.jpeg
    IMG_0983.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Wall tents are the way to go. That one is an 8x8 spike tent made of synthetic material. Only weighs 15 lbs so I can backpack it. I keep forgetting my woodstove on the mountain. 😉
Thats what im talking about! Cant beat those setups

Deucebump

WKR
Great story Weston, and like others have already said, that pack out pic is awesome.

Man, us PA guys sure do love the west! (Used to work in Saxonburg, live in Erie Co now)

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Great story Weston, and like others have already said, that pack out pic is awesome.

Man, us PA guys sure do love the west! (Used to work in Saxonburg, live in Erie Co now)
Thanks man. And we sure do! haha

Nice job! I too am from PA and got my first muley buck last month. Always an awesome feeling to fill a tag on a DIY public land hunt!

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job! I too am from PA and got my first muley buck last month. Always an awesome feeling to fill a tag on a DIY public land hunt!
No doubt brother! and congrats to you as well! Is it the muley in your profile pic? Great buck

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck, moved out to Wyoming a little over a year ago from Washington PA.
Oh nice man! Wow I’m right there, I’m in Washington county. I swear every day I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger to moving out westand I’ve said Wyoming would be it!

Trybendr

FNG
Oh nice man! Wow I’m right there, I’m in Washington county. I swear every day I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger to moving out westand I’ve said Wyoming would be it!
Small world, Chartiers grad. Yea, Wyoming has been the plan for awhile now and finally worked out. Still got a deer camp in PA up between Marianville and Ridgeway that boarders national forest.

Hey guys. Just wanted to share my 2023 DIY public land muley I was fortunate enough to take. Came all the way out from PA! I also came out in August for a week and did a solo scouting mission just cause... why not!? Love this s***.

We got pounded with snow for the opening day of the second firearm season. We were way too high. By the time we got out of that area on Sunday there were a few spots we were hiking out that had a couple feet on the ground.

After a rough start we called the audible and relocated to some lower elevation. When I saw this guy while I was still hunting through the thick timber, I was able to send one at 50 yards! He's no Boone and Crocket but I couldnt be happier, especially how i snuck right up on him. My old man took a sweet pic of me on the packout back down to camp. He got a forky on this trip too!

We chased elk the rest of the season while we were camped out in the wilderness but never had a clear shot at a legal bull (only saw a couple, then just an endless number of cows/ calves/ and sub legal bulls). Had a blast!
View attachment 629894View attachment 629895View attachment 629896View attachment 629897
Really cool!

Congrats on the buck and that pic is great! I am also in Pittsburgh and agree we should combine forces. We were at 10k when the snow hit and got 20”, it was brutal hiking but did get a small elk. Will be going out west every year for sure though, snagged a good OTC Idaho tag for 2024.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Small world, Chartiers grad. Yea, Wyoming has been the plan for awhile now and finally worked out. Still got a deer camp in PA up between Marianville and Ridgeway that boarders national forest.
Awesome man! Ringgold grad here. And my cousins have a camp up in Clearfield county! Very small word. Might circle back with u when I finally decide to make the jump lol

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the buck and that pic is great! I am also in Pittsburgh and agree we should combine forces. We were at 10k when the snow hit and got 20”, it was brutal hiking but did get a small elk. Will be going out west every year for sure though, snagged a good OTC Idaho tag for 2024.
Yup sounds about right with that snowfall haha. Good deal on the elk! We hunted hard, it’s not easy headin all the way out there for a couple yinzers. I snagged an OTC deer tag in Idaho as well! Going to head out solo with the bow. Ping me if u wanna bs more about game plans