2023 Bird and Dog pics

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Got 4 more roosters and hundreds of burrs on Sunday. After hunting for 5 hours on Saturday and 5 on Sunday, Oscar’s feet were wrecked. Insides and outsides of pads were raw and around where his nails come out of his feet were swollen. I never had these issues with my golden retriever. Are the other Griff owners seeing the same thing, and if so, short of booties, what do you guys do to help take care of their feet?
Musher’s Secret is our go-to.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Got 4 more roosters and hundreds of burrs on Sunday. After hunting for 5 hours on Saturday and 5 on Sunday, Oscar’s feet were wrecked. Insides and outsides of pads were raw and around where his nails come out of his feet were swollen. I never had these issues with my golden retriever. Are the other Griff owners seeing the same thing, and if so, short of booties, what do you guys do to help take care of their feet?
Don't bother with product call, tuff pads, it did not work form my dogs nor my friends. BootResized_21560.jpegs are the only real answer. I use self adhesive bandaid tape in 2" wide. I first wrap his leg with the tape, then put on the boots and wrap boot up and around the tape with duct tape. That way the duct tape won't stick to the leg hair. It is a pain in the ass to do, but it works great. We hunt out in the desert and up in the rim rocks where there is a lot of small jagged rocks. The tape not only saves his pads, it keeps the sand and small stones out.

Last edited:
Don't bother with product call, tuff pads, it did not work form my dogs nor my friends. BootView attachment 620679s are the only real answer. I use self adhesive bandaid tape in 2" wide. I first wrap his leg with the tape, then put on the boots and wrap boot up and around the tape with duct tape. That way the duct tape won't stick to the leg hair. It is a pain in the ass to do, but it works great. We hunt out in the desert and up in the rim rocks where there is a lot of small jagged rocks. The tape not only saves his pads, it keeps the sand and small stones out.
Thank you for recommendation. Last season it was his balls and they’re gone now. This year his feet. Lol!

TSAMP

WKR
I’ve heard about this product. Is this for recovery or prevention? Do the dogs lick it off?
I use it as a preventative. I put it on at the pullout. He knows we are hunting and isn't gonna waste time trying to lick his feet. This is generally only for multi day destination trips. Not used much for weekend stuff.

I think it helps. I've used it for sandhills and snow/ice mix. The later is usually when boots come out for me, but it's rare.

I think preparation helps. I run mine on gravel a fair bit to get his feet ready.

I think preparation helps. I run mine on gravel a fair bit to get his feet ready.
Thank you for the information, and we typically put in a ton of mixed gravel/paved trail miles before the season. Unfortunately, that October hot spell limited our conditioning time somewhat.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard about this product. Is this for recovery or prevention? Do the dogs lick it off?
TSAMP covered it well, but we use it as a preventative. Normally gets applied as we are taking them out of their crates. For the ground we normally hunt, it's mostly for snow/ice as the crusty stuff would tear their paws up.

Same experience re: licking it off - they are too focused on hunting to care about some stuff getting rubbed on their paws and haven't had an issue.

TSAMP covered it well, but we use it as a preventative. Normally gets applied as we are taking them out of their crates. For the ground we normally hunt, it's mostly for snow/ice as the crusty stuff would tear their paws up.

Same experience re: licking it off - they are too focused on hunting to care about some stuff getting rubbed on their paws and haven't had an issue.
Should arrive today... Thank you again!

jmez

WKR
My appointments cancelled this am. So why not?

f98cb5cc35fa14200d41e73ed7ec365c.jpg

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
bd8e372edf2edf98dd7c21263d707983.jpg

Buzby

WKR
One of my favorite game birds. Often hard to get when they get into that thick tag alder. Picture looks a lot like areas we hunt in northern Wisconsin. I just love hunting over a good dog.
Northern WI it is. There is something special about a pointed, shot, and retrieved ruffed grouse in the north woods.

slvrslngr

WKR
Took the pup out for her first real hunt. Chased some chukar above the Columbia. We didn’t get any real opportunities at birds but she got some exposure to wild bird scent, flushing and gunfire. Biggest issue to work on right now is recall/obedience. It’ll come!

Attachments

• IMG_8440.jpeg
    IMG_8440.jpeg
    574.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8441.jpeg
    IMG_8441.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 24