2022 Muzzleloader Buck

OP
Headwaters
Some of the clear cuts and large agricultural fields may provide that opportunity but the majority of the time we sit in trees. Everything is so thick around here.

Virginia's early muzzleloader season opened warm and dry. My hunt area hadn't had much rain in a while, and we've been in a warm spell just like the rest of the east coast. I'd scouted an area and found a scrape line along the edge of a picked cotton field bordered by oaks that were dropping plenty of acorns. I hunted the field in the morning but didn't see anything, so I returned that afternoon to give it another try. The truck thermometer said 81 degrees as I climbed into my stand around 3. Nothing moved for over an hour and then a doe stepped into the field. She stood there for a minute before starting to walk across the field and then she broke into a quick walk but with her tail down. The wind was in my favor and her tail wasn't up so I suspected a buck may be following her. Another half hour went by and then I heard a deer coming out of the woods into the field. I turned in the stand to face that area and put the gun against my shoulder. The deer stepped into the field and stopped with his nose to the ground. It was obvious right away that he was a good buck. I didn't hesitate and when the crosshairs settled on his shoulder he dropped at the shot. There was no ground shrinkage with this one as there had been before. His neck is fully swollen so the game is on in my area. View attachment 473631View attachment 473632View attachment 473652
Beautiful buck!

Some of the clear cuts and large agricultural fields may provide that opportunity but the majority of the time we sit in trees. Everything is so thick around here.
Ok thanks! I have a friend in Max Meadows who is going to this western knuckledragger lined out for a muzzleloader hunt back there. I'm looking forward to it