2020 Elk Call setup

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Like most people digging through the Rokslide elk forums, I am itching to get into the elk woods for 2020. With all the craziness going on right now, I am more than ready to chase some bugles.

I am sticking with the Phelps Unleashed full size bugle tube and Phelps reeds. My favorites are pink and white. They are easy to use and generate plenty of volume.

I really like the Phelps E-Z Estrus external call. I like the build quality as well as the sound.

In the "Why didn't I think of that" category I picked up a handy gadget called "The Bugle Mule” from allelk.coM. The Bugle Mule wraps around your bugle tube and has three (or two depending on model) neoprene sleeves to hold your reeds. A nylon cover for the reeds pockets has a silent magnetic closure. The pockets also have spacer mesh, so the reeds dry out. Overall, it is a really simple and clever idea to keep your reeds with your tube at all times.

814a0b73e51d33f29a8636751a49d423.jpg

992abb4821690b8daa29fb0c21a4fb8a.jpg

What is your elk calling setup for 2020?

Last edited:
These little reed holders are a game changer for me.

Yup love those things. They make cool bugle tube holsters too. I’ve had my eve on one for my baby Phelps tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd seen a few ads for those but thought they might be a gimmick.

Elknut Chuckler over the shoulder and a Native by Carlton Reed in my mouth at all times. the back up reeds in a small pouch on a chord around my neck. pretty simple really. a couple exterior reeds in my pocket if the urge hits.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know what it is about my original Elknut Chuckler (perhaps the modifications I made????) but it just outperforms every other tube I've tried, including all his new ones. I even tried another original and the elk just don't like it as much. Last year I tried the Phelp's Unleashed and it works fine but just not as well as my original. However, that Unleashed does the best glunking sounds I've ever heard. Called in two bulls and some cows last year just glunking with it.

TX_Diver

WKR
TBD. Have a few diaphragms on order.

I liked the pink AMP call but it scraped up the side of my mouth pretty good just from the few minutes I was trying it at the house yesterday...

Am I just soft or is that expected with the metal caps?

bED7V0Ch.jpg

TBD. Have a few diaphragms on order.

I liked the pink AMP call but it scraped up the side of my mouth pretty good just from the few minutes I was trying it at the house yesterday...

Am I just soft or is that expected with the metal caps?

bED7V0Ch.jpg
I have a bunch of Phelps amp and never have scraped my mouth up. Did you feel for a burr?

Gapmaster

WKR
I've switched to the Maverick by Phelps this year. It just sounds really good to me. I've been switching back and forth between it and the Pitch Black 2, but the Maverick has a little better "throaty" sound to me. Using the Bully Bull tube.

Gapmaster

WKR
Like most people digging through the Rokslide elk forums, I am itching to get into the elk woods for 2020. With all the craziness going on right now, I am more than ready to chase some bugles.

I am sticking with the Phelps Unleashed full size bugle tube and Phelps reeds. My favorites are pink and white. They are easy to use and generate plenty of volume.

I really like the Phelps E-Z Estrus external call. I like the build quality as well as the sound.

In the "Why didn't I think of that" category I picked up a handy gadget called "The Bugle Mule” from allelk.coM. The Bugle Mule wraps around your bugle tube and has three (or two depending on model) neoprene sleeves to hold your reeds. A nylon cover for the reeds pockets has a silent magnetic closure. The pockets also have spacer mesh, so the reeds dry out. Overall, it is a really simple and clever idea to keep your reeds with your tube at all times.

814a0b73e51d33f29a8636751a49d423.jpg

992abb4821690b8daa29fb0c21a4fb8a.jpg

What is your elk calling setup for 2020?
Been looking at this since you posted it. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, because I can't figure out how its supposed to get air to the reeds if the flap is pulled over them. Am I over thinking this or could that be a legit issue? Obviously you have one so what's your take on them drying/staying wet??

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Been looking at this since you posted it. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, because I can't figure out how its supposed to get air to the reeds if the flap is pulled over them. Am I over thinking this or could that be a legit issue? Obviously you have one so what's your take on them drying/staying wet??

Good question. The mesh under the reeds is 3mm spacer mesh that allows air to circulate. The magnetic cover flap isn’t so tight that it compresses the reed against the tube.

Reeds seem to dry out fine, and a little faster than they do in my bino harness.

What I like best is the flap keeps the dust off the reeds well, which can be an issue where I hunt.