2019 Box Elder Archery

Hey there guys. I drew a NR Box Elder archery deer tag this year! At least I get to chase something!! Anyone want to share any experiences with this area/hunt? I've hunted the Nevada side of the border, but never the Utah side. Thanks y'all!

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a rifle tag in the unit this year. I have never hunted Utah so I cant be of much help. Maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other after scouting?

OP
chukarhunter_nv
I’m a sucker for unique bucks (character, mass etc) but if I had to put a number to it, I’d say 160”+.

Not impossible to find a buck like that on that unit but very difficult unless you spend a lot of time scouting, or get access to private. Archery hunted it 2 years ago plenty of opportunities for 2x3s and spikes but never saw anything big but that was just the area I was in can't say that's for the whole unit.

CEliason

FNG
Hey there guys. I drew a NR Box Elder archery deer tag this year! At least I get to chase something!! Anyone want to share any experiences with this area/hunt? I've hunted the Nevada side of the border, but never the Utah side. Thanks y'all!

How did your Hunt turn out? My brother and I both drew the Unit for Rifle. We put in for the hunt because it is where my Grandfather grew up hunting and thought it would be cool to hunt where he did.
I have E-Scouted it some, and have driven around it a little to get a better feel for the land.

OP
chukarhunter_nv
How did your Hunt turn out? My brother and I both drew the Unit for Rifle. We put in for the hunt because it is where my Grandfather grew up hunting and thought it would be cool to hunt where he did.
I have E-Scouted it some, and have driven around it a little to get a better feel for the land.

Unfortunately, I broke my right hand right before the season last year and couldn't pull my bow back at all. I ended up having to return the tag.

dubdub52

FNG
I hunted box elder last year and ran into 6 bucks. None bigger than a 3 point, mostly young bucks (arguably taste better!) Surprisingly I found them at lower elevations than I would've guessed 6,000' but the habitat had the necessities (food, shelter, water.) The north-west portion of the raft river mountains was where I spent most of my time (north of mahogany peaks) but I bet the further you venture in... you will find more mature bucks. Underrated area.

dubdub52

FNG

All the area surrounding the mahogany peaks was a fairly productive area for me, I'd be happy to share more though through PM. My hunt was archery, however.