2019 archery elk

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to crisp, Sept. Mountain air and bugling elk. I'll detail the prep and the hunt here.

This is the first setup Im evaluating for my upcoming Idaho Elk hunt.

sFP7eMD.jpg

ElkNut1

WKR
Nice setup! I've taken several bulls with Woodsmans heads, they leave a great blood trail!

ElkNut/Paul

Scoot

WKR
Those will never work!!! :) Hahaha! Looks like death to an elk to me!

sndmn11

WKR
My recurve arrows are 678gr, and I kept the same arrows for my new compound just trimmed off two inches to stiffen them up a little and swapped the feathers for vanes for a result of about 670gr (256fps). My wife also just started with archery and her little 24" arrows are weighing 510grs (190fps).

I have seen enough heavy arrows from traditional bows zip right through every animal to believe in the heavy wins concept. We are a-ok with the rainbow trajectory on the practice range.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to the Iron Will broadheads myself. I hit two elk in the front shoulder one year with no penetration using lightweight 3 blade setups. Heavier FOC arrows with are the way to go on elk. Two blades are preferred over three blades for penetration through bone.

Here is an interview on the Gritty Bowman YouTube channel about the Iron Will broadheads:

The Gritty Bowman has a setup that I like also.

Brooks

WKR
Good set up... It’s not about the broadhead, it’s about shot placement. Most bh’s work great. Several years ago I hit a bull square in the shoulder using a Magnus snuffer ss 100 grain and after going about 100 yards I had a nice bull laying upside down. Good luck.

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to the Iron Will broadheads myself. I hit two elk in the front shoulder one year with no penetration using lightweight 3 blade setups. Heavier FOC arrows with are the way to go on elk. Two blades are preferred over three blades for penetration through bone.

Here is an interview on the Gritty Bowman YouTube channel about the Iron Will broadheads:

The Gritty Bowman has a setup that I like also.

I designed a broadhead sharpener specifically for the Iron Will heads which has sold well all over the world and I have some of the heads but I have had very good success with the heavy, 3 blade woodsman.

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Im a fan of the woodsman heads. Last year I took 4 deer (including 2 P&Y bucks. ) Neither left my sight after the hit.

lry3nOe.jpg

Then I blasted through both front shoulders (and got a pass through) on a nice doe. (here is the video)

I also took a Russian boar and went through 35 inches of hog and through a shoulder and got a pass through. (here is the video)

So I have had nothing but great success with these heads.

Last edited:

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Impressive. I took a few minutes and looked at Brian Calls setup. He is shooting Valkyrie broadheads that have a similar shape. They tout they go through bones like a two blade but give you the cutting diameter of a three blade. After listing to them I can see the value of the elongated blades on a heavy arrow setup. Those boar's are tough so you should be all set for an elk. I did look at a few reviews on the Woodsman but I wasn't too impressed with their quality. The Valkyrie's seem to be higher quality but you are paying for it at $75 for three.

Regardless use what works for you. You seem to have what you need. Good luck.

OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Ive set up other hunters going after really big game and had them use the woodsman. Here is a video I made comparing the woodsman to other heads.

OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Here is one of the bucks I killed last season with the woodsman head. I was self filming and took him behind the shoulder and exited in front of the shoulder taking out the heart. He couldnt run due to shoulder/leg damage so he stood there and turned into a faucet of film. you will want to be full screen and watch the leg.

KHNC

WKR
Do you own woodsman broadheads? Or are just a fan? Interesting heads. Ive never used anything heavier than 125's

Sharp things, that test made me nervous kept thinking you were going to catch a broadhead to the stomach.

But man the ease the woodsman had was impressive.

OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Do you own woodsman broadheads? Or are just a fan? Interesting heads. Ive never used anything heavier than 125's

No, I have no stake or financial link to Woodsman heads. I have in excess of 500 diff. broadheads in my shop and I do a lot of testing and killing and when I find something that works, I share it.

No, I have no stake or financial link to Woodsman heads. I have in excess of 500 diff. broadheads in my shop and I do a lot of testing and killing and when I find something that works, I share it.

I'm running the 175gr. this year myself after some testing done this winter in the basement with FOC and arrow flight. Very happy with field accuracy thus far and the extra 50gr. of arrow weight made a significant reduction in bow noise. Penetration into a Block target is much better than previous. Surprisingly little relative change to the pins (20-70) vs. the 125 gr. heads I used previously. Glad I came across this thread - gives validation to my testing this winter! Thanks!

Now the Hoyt is almost as quiet as my retired antique Parker Force-Multiplier.....

(#68, 2013 Hoyt Carbon Element, 29" carbon-carbon GT Kaos 300, factory outsert, approx 550 gr. TAW)

Last edited: